Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Planting watermelons and cantaloupes in rows - what spacing?
Post Planting watermelons and cantaloupes in rows - what spacing? 
So I am going to try to grow cantaloupes and watermelons. I am thinking of planting them in rows instead of hills. From what I have read, 5 feet between rows. Watermelons 3' apart should work. Cantaloupes 2' apart within the rows should work.

Thoughts? Better making hills? ideas? Never grown either!

Thanks!

Darin

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
I grow all my Watermelon, Melons, Cukes, Pumpkin and Squash in rows and on trellises off the ground (less looking fror fruit, less diseases, less space, more fruit "bees find flowers better" more sun on all leaves, less mold, more air flow, less bugs" good bugs can find bad bugs and birds can see bugs" fruit forms nice no yellow side where on ground) heavy fruit needs some suport but most do not, for spacing just one ever 4 to 6 inch on a row as long as get root space and sun light will grow good. in the north usa I grow my rows north and south so the morning sun drys off the dew. in noon the top of the plants shade the bottom half and roots from the high hot noon sun"less water" the last bit of west sun lays low and more sun to extend the 12 to 16 hours light. so if I planted east to west the dew would not dry so rust and mold. the noon sun burn plants, and the sun would not give light as long, hope this helps P.S. your other post all cucurbitaceae family which includes melons and squashes and cukes will cross.

You grow WATERMELONS on a trellis?? Wow! I have heard of doing that for cantaloupes, but honestly, never thought of it for watermelon due to the weight. How and of what are your trellises constructed??

Thanks for the thoughts regarding the cross-pollination. I understand that there can be problems with corn cross-pollinating, cause you are literally eating the seeds. I am mainly just planting to eat, so I can't see how this year's watermelon would be changed by a cucumber cross-pollination. Next year, sure.

Thanks again!

Darin

I grow moon and stars, blacktail mtn, sugar box, crimson sweet, golden midget all in fence the big ones need a net to help hold but the smaller Ice Box size just leave. I have shelfs from a store that my dad got and gave me but you can use Chain link fence like the streeched dog kennel type. or Hard pig fence smaller squared at bottom and 4 inch wide squares at to comes in sheets that are 4 to 5 feet tall and 8 to 12 foot long. or make it out of wood like a ladder and have a few rungs then staple chicken wire to it ( end of season clean up takes longer to get dead plant out of chicken wire and will rust in few years) as long as it strong and you can weave the plant threw (every few days) you should be fine did you look at my garden Pic yet?

fence.jpg
 Description:
strong feance
 Filesize:  158.53 KB
 Viewed:  9802 Time(s)

fence.jpg

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1