Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Radish advice needed
Post Radish advice needed 
I'm so happy to have discovered this site and I've started creating my garden map. In the mean while, I'm hoping someone can give me advice on growing radishes.

Last year, I grew radishes for the first time. I got a handful of wonderfully round, juice radishes but a whole lot more that were just long roots. This year, it's the same situation. What is the secret to getting globe shaped radishes?

Thanks in advance?

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
What is your soil like? do you get rain at least 1inch a week?
hows your sun? 6 to 8 hours full sun? what type of radish you grow?
I know my black round spanish org. ones some times are all top and no root at all and some times to hot to eat. how old are your seeds? and did you store them in frig? if soil to hard packed roots can't grow right. and have you tested soil NPK?

Lots of questions there and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. The soil is pretty loamy and free of rocks. I've worked a good deal of peat moss into it. They easily get 8-10 hours of sunlight where they are located. I've attempted to grow Watermelon radishes, Cherry Belle, Perfecto, and Sparkler. I'll get a couple that turn out wonderfully globe shaped, but the rest grow deep roots the diameter of a pencil. I water them at least every other day. I have not tested the NPK.

I had this same issue last year, using the same seeds (which were bought last year). Last year, though, I got a better harvest of round radishes before they started developing the long roots. The seeds were stored in a zip-loc bag in my basement over the winter.

How much can temperature affect radishes? We've had some wildly varying temps here in Wisconsin. It will upper 80s one day, then lower 60s the next, then it will jump into the 90s, then back into the 60s.

Radishs hate heat that might have been the cause when you planted them did you bring out all seed packs and set them down in the sun (i bring out only the one pack or two packs at a time and place in shade more walking to house but loss LBS gardening) and I plant all cool loving crops in white mulch the roots stay cool so the heat dose not make go to seed. see pic in( Veg pic and videos )under "large square foot garden 2009" sorry I could not help more.

Interesting theory about the seed packets...

I bought some bone meal (for the potassium) and some fine sand to work into the soil. I'll plant some more radishes this weekend and since it's back to being mild here in Wisconsin, we'll see how they turn out. I'll post back with my results.

This is the second year to grow radishes. I have sandy soil. I planted early, the first of April. They just flowered and going to seed first of June. Mine grew big. I watered them well & often, no fertilizer & used grass clippings for mulch.

Clem, I noticed you grow herbs. I only grew thyme & rosemary. What dishes can I use these herbs in??? I don't know how to use herbs yet. Also, what herbs should be used in making (canning) hot salsa??? Thanks.

MSZ - I honestly wind up growing more herbs than I actually use. Frankly, I'm not sure what I use Thyme in. Rosemary is good when grilling steak. Some of the biggies for herbs and what I use them for:

Chives - great in dips, on potatoes, mixed into burger patties, generally any place you'd like a mild onion flavor.

Cilantro - huge for salsa and any authentic Mexican cooking.

Dill - Mainly I use this when I'm jarring pickles.

Basil - Great sliced into ribbons and served on tomato slices with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Also for making pesto and including in any spagetti sauce I make (along with oregano).

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1