Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Vegetable database
Post Vegetable database 
Thank you! 5a is awesome. I can build my own database of preferred fruits, veg and flowers. Yes!!! Fantastic.

Sorry I missed some of the releases. Taught evening classes at the conservatory last week and doing to roundtable discussions at the Ohio Gardening Conference this weekend.

Post How? 
Hey there Gardenlady,

I assume you're just adding veggies, flowers...and renaming them in the Plant Info window (for instance, pepper or peppers). I just added some peppers to my test garden and had to enter the name myself...however, the three different types are listed individually instead of in the list. If not...how are you building your database? I've noticed that Roy has added some new icons in the veggie selector...please...share the wealth Smile

I'm really liking the improvements so far aren't you??!! Very Happy

Post The buildible database 
Not there yet, but believe it or not you are getting the data you see from a dabase of 3000+ vegetable varieties.
This will be increased to well over 5000, then adusted as people use it and stabilize over time.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
I'm loving the improvements. The expansion on the data base is marvelous! That will give folks in different areas of the country with different plant needs wonderful flexibility.

Post Database additions 
Roy,
Since I am not in the beta, *yet*, and I am having this thought, which I believe is useful...

Is there an import format specification for the database? If so, I would call up my favorite supplier and kindly ask them to send you their catalog in whatever field order and delimiter you would prefer.

I also know that PHPRunner makes it pretty easy to develop applications that Export and import, too...but I can see that you might want to manage the database.

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but I figured that it would be in this thread if it existed.

Happy Growing to all!
Ken

Post Datebase and seed companies 
One of the reasons for moving to the new database was to have a better way to create APIs (hooks) into the databse.
While this won't be in the first release, it will be on a short list. Some of the features you are talking about were flushed out in some unreleased versions of Plangarden.
There are some details about this that are still being worked out.
Thanks for bringing this up. I think others will be interested too.

Post Moving the Database Forward 
Hey Roy,

Isn't there something we can do to move the database effort forward while the software is still in progress?

For example, what companies are represented in the 3000 records that you mention? If we knew this, maybe we could begin to find the appropriate contacts with our favorite seed companies, and start laying the groundwork to make getting the data dump easier when you are ready for it. I am looking for High Mowing Organic Seeds, for example.

If there were a basic file structure/spec: like variety, company, description, part number, days to maturity...etc., we could start collecting this information.

Thanks,
Ken

Post Migrating database early 
As to being able to migrate the database early, this need to be syncronized.
There will need to be a mapping between vegetable seed companies and Plangarden.
We have already started a few "Early Adopter" relationships and will want to work through the technical issues with a small number of seed companies first.
Once there is an translator that can import seed catalog data, then we will open the flood gates.
There are many ball moving all at once behind the scenes.
Hold that thought and I may look for help on contacting seed companies at a later date.

Thanks,
Roy

Post Year's Gone By... 
OK, is there any status update on this feature?

For the love of peat Smile there's not even KALE in the veggie list. Something must be done!

Thanks,
Ken

Post A year and no Kale 
While we really want to get a new "Library Editor" back that we beta tested in the old version, I will see what I can do to get Kale in now.

Post Vegetable Icons...... 
I've been trying to read the forum & find out .... still wondering if & when more icons will be available for veggies. Perhaps I've missed something somewhere. Seems like I read something about saving our own but can't remember where or what exactly. I've been trying to plan winter squashes & the only icon is for butternut. They look so uniquely Butternut that I'm trying to use Watermelon for Blue Hubbard & Acorn squash, etc.

Am I missing something that's already in place? If not, would you be willing to let me know if it's coming or planned for the future?

Thanks
Genene

Post Adding a vegetable editor 
This is next on the block of features to be added.
It has been planned out and will be added in stages.
There is a lot involved and we needed to get some other basic features added that are going to be released this week.

Thanks for your input on this!

Post veg database 
I may be missing something, but there are not many vegetables to choose from - no broad beans for example. Any idea when the improvements will be available? Or am I doing something wrong?

Hi, I love the site but am struggling with the veg selection. I am using the icons and renaming the and the changing the colour shading to give them some definition but would love to see a greater selection.

Sad In the Veg selctor.......Where are the tomatoes?! I'm thrilled you have tomatillos, but, NO tomato?.............That said, I 'could' be missin' them, but I don't think so............................

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next