Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Raising Giant Pumkin?
Post Raising Giant Pumkin? 
I am raising a giant pumpkin for charity this year. I don't know the variety since someone else will be giving me the seed in mid-April. As I plan out my garden, I am trying to estimate how much space I need to grow it, and any other advice you can give. Have you ever tried it?

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
I know you want to grow where you can get a fork lift or tractor to lift it and place on palet so you can move later and after 2 or three flowers start to make a pumpkin
pick the best one to grow and pull the others off and then pick the other flowers so all the plants energy is for just that one. water and feed alot and on the web type in time laps pic of pumpkins (cool) and you may have to cover with tarp or the sun will cook to much and stunt the growth. on some web pages may give more info.

Post Giant Pumpkins 
100+ft is not unheard of for giant pumpkins.
And that is only a 10ft x 10ft area. If they really get going they could cover 15ftx15ft if you let them.

If you have the room it is fun to grow. The one I got was just about 100 and was in a bad year for them. (I lost two as they got to volleyball size) The one I grew ended up looking like a deformed human skull... great for Halloween.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1