Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Gardening in the Pacific Northwest :)
Post Gardening in the Pacific Northwest :) 
Hi all....I am going to try and round up any and all information about where I live and gardening. So if you have any experiences, warnings, suggestions, etc about gardening in this Washington weather...even small ones please, please share it here on this thread.

I have talked with some of my neighbors that do a little gardening to learn from them too. But all my neighbors here only grow a couple things. Example: Tomatoes are a bummer to grow here....they do ripen, but not for a long time and then when they do it's all at once so have your canning supplies ready Smile LOL

This is my first season gardening and I am very excited and it went very well and it was a blast. The whole family has enjoyed growing seeds, planting, watering, and of course the harvesting Smile I don't think we will ever go without growing our own vegetables again. We are planning a huge garden next season to be able to can and share with others etc....to last us thru the winter months and I'd like to avoid as many hard lessons as possible.

Thanks guys.....and happy gardening Smile

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Gardening in Pacific Northwest 
You live in a great area to garden. Not only that, but there are some great books written just for that area.

Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades: The Complete Guide to Organic Gardening by Steve Solomon

I know I have seen more, but I can't find them. But gardening books that were written by people IN YOUR AREA are by far the best.

Thanks...I'll head to the library first and look for them Smile

So far I am having good turn out with our carrots, beans, cabbage, pumpkins, squash, lettuce, cucumbers, zucc, strawberries, but bad luck with broccoli, kale, tomato's, peas, and lemon cucumbers. I planted nasturshums (sp) in a few different places and some had to be moved and then did better so I am a believer in companion gardening.

I didn't plant every little thing this season as it was my first time growing a garden....but I have already prepared more land for all the things we missed this year...onions, garlic, etc...

I sure wish I could get everyone in my area that is gardening to hop on here and share info as it would be a huge time saver....gosh Roy....email me a flyer about your website and I'll copy it and post them up at our stores reader boards around the county Smile Fred Meyers, the feed stores, nurseries, etc.... Very Happy I live in Kitsap County WA and I know a ton of people garden around here....let me know Smile thanks again for the info Smile

Post Gardening in the Pacific Northwest 
I have been gardening here in Spanaway, WA for 15 yearsand it can be challenging with long cool springs and a short summer. I garden in a micro climate here and while Narcissus and Tulips are blooming in Tacoma 15 miles away, mine are just beginning to bud up.

So, I resort to pvc tunnels and a greenhouse to thwart the weather challenge. Most of my seeds are ordered from Territorial Seeds in Oregon they are trialed there and grow best in our climate.

I have had huge success with garlic. Just be sure to plant it September and mulch it. Can't kill the stuff! I had some that I dug (Elephant Garlic) and dried in the greenhouse. Well, I had so much that I tossed several bunches on the ground next to the compost pile. Well, it survived the hard freezes and started sprouting. So I took it up, divided the cloves and planted it. It is alive and growing.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1