Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Watermelons, Tomatoes and Cucumbers
Post Watermelons, Tomatoes and Cucumbers 
Hi.

I am getting ready to start planting. I have read on the internet that I need to keep my cucs away from my tomatoes and my watermelons. In fact, I have read that cross-pollination between the cucs and the watermelons can mess up the taste of the melon. I have also read opinions that this is just because folks picked the watermelons too soon.

Any thoughts on how important and how far apart the different folks should be kept?

Thanks!

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
I have not notice a taste diffrents in any near plants. tomato are from nightshade family will not cross with cucurbitaceae family which includes melons and squashes and cukes. tomatos will cross with other nightshade IE. eggplant, potato. these will cross and the fruit will be fine that year but if you save the seeds and plant next year who knows what will grow. The seeds that are packaged as F1 or hybrid seeds don't save seeds from them will not make the same fruit from one year to next. Some will not even give fruit or grow a plant (dead seeds). If you grow just to eat you will be fine if you have a need to save seeds you can hand-pollination one plant (one or 2 flowers) and just save the seeds from that fruit and eat the other fruit on the vine. will get less fruit from the vine you save from. All energy used in one to 2 fruit (when you pick a fruit the plant like tomatos will make a new flower and keep on making fruit it thinks I need to produce a offspring and will try to make a fruit that will ripe on vine like zucchini will produce untill one fruit is fully ripe on vine then no more flowers that year) so plant 3 to 6 of each type and read up on hand pollination. and just one plant out of 6 to save seeds from. hope this helps

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1