Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Canteloupe with corn
Post Canteloupe with corn 
Does anyone know if I can plant my canteloupe under my corn. I am planting about 6 rows 10 ft long more of a block and would like to plant the canteloupe on the hills. The corn would shade the melons. Will they mix flavors.

I did enjoy the discussion on companion planting and planted cosmos last year along with herbs and other flowers in the garden. Had hummingbirds, butterflies and bees all over. We are getting a bee hive this spring to help with the orchard and garden production.

Thanks for the information. This has more information than any book I have read to date. Laughing

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Cantaloupe and competition 
Here is some food for thought for Cantaloupe and Corn as companions.

First an obligatory warning: I don't have much luck growing melons, so I haven't tried this at home!!!

Corn is a big consumer of nitrogen. So it needs lots of that. Too much nitrogen for cantalope may product great vines with little fruit.

Cantalope is a big consumer of phosphorus. It needs that to promote fruiting.

Finally
Melons are not good competitors and do not flourish if weeds shade them or compete with them for moisture and fertilizer.

If anyone else has directly experience here, please feel free to chime in. I have planted corn and beans together just to try it out and it seemed to work fine. But again I have never tried this combo.

Post cantaloupe and corn patch 
i have a cantaloupe and corn patch this year in one part of the garden. its doing great so far. i planted the corn wampanoag style, including beans to climb up the corn stalks. so far i have cantaloupe blooms, so i'm optimistic. this patch is in a problem area, a little bit wet on the edge. i planted the edge later trying to let the soil dry a bit, but its been a wet spring so far. corn and squash work great together for sure.

heres a pic of the patch

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1