Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Calendar tab?
Post Calendar tab? 
Someone in another thread mentioned a calendar feature. I'm going to second the calandar idea. It would be nice if it's own tab. I'm also a new gardener and have been very overwhelmed about when to do things. Mother Earth News Dec/Jan issue had a neat little chart that helped me out some with when to start seeds. It had you find your average last frost. Told you how many weeks before or after that date a general type of veggie needed to go in the ground and how many weeks before that you should start them indoors. I went crazy by the end counting weeks back and forth on a calendar and thought it would be neat to have one that was computerized.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/issues/213/images/Seed-Starting-chart.pdf

It was also limited as to what plants they had info about. Some that it didn't list I found out on my own didn't do well starting indoor and should have been planted outside, but I didn't really know when. I got lots of my seeds from a local seed exchange and most from a small family business, but my seed packets didn't have all the info I needed as to when to start, plant, spacing, etc.

Another thing I've been hearing lots of discussion about lately, but I'm not ready to go there yet, is planting by the signs as in the Farmers Almanac. But it seems there is a lot of interest in this among many gardeners, so it might be something to consider down the road.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
While we wait for a calendar feature in Plangarden, you might want to check out the Excel spreadsheet I made to calculate indoor sowing and outdoor planting/set out dates. (I'm a great believer in letting the computer do tedious calculation tasks.)

It's hosted at Yougrowgirl.com:

The Lazy Gardener's Automatic Seed Starting Chart

Post Calendar tab - Harvest tab Expands 
This has long been on my mind and tossed around. It is regional specific and requires either the user to enter the data or a big database behind it.
I looked at Mother Earth's link you gave and that looks like a painful process indeed. Crying or Very sad

I have my own version of a planting guide for my region. It is a colored coded version of what causticmuse has. It looks a bit like the Harvest tab today and has bars on it:
brown color bar for start indoors
green color bar for start outdoors
yellow for early or late planting (questionable depending on the year)
Of course with this there can be overlap. You may have a time where you can either start indoors or outdoors (not as common in nothern latitudes).

One trick is how to get this entered into the program with an easy user interface.

It is a GREAT IDEA!! I like it very much and it will be part of Plangarden. I want to get the customized vegetable selector done first. This will put a backbone of a database behind the program that can make the user interface and entry easier.

I just got a press announcement out yesterday. It can be found on google news by typing "vegetable" in the Google News search
Google news so I am now truely turning my attention back to code writting. Look for new features to start appearing in a few days. Once I get some low hanging fruit features added I will revisit this request.

Thanks,
Roy

Thank you Causticmuse!! That is exactly what I wanted. It's funny, I can get Word to do anything and everything I ever wanted it to do.......but I never really got Excel. I know making a spreadsheet like this should be easy, but it's just not! But, I do know enough about it to be able to expand this chart (add more herbs) to meet the needs of the plants I want to grow.
If it could eventually be worked into Plangarden it would be great. If the plant library were expanded to include days to harvest then one could also be made for your fall harvest vegetables.......ie.......when to start/plant a second crop of brocolli or peas so I can get it harvested before it freezes, etc. I would imagine that in my climate it would be better to start that brocolli indoors because I don't think baby brocolli does well in our 90-100 degree Augusts.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1