Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
first time gardner
Post first time gardner 
Rolling Eyes First time vegetable gardner here.. We have tilled a plot of land 20'x32'. Made a fence around it using hog wire (which should provide for some vine support hopefully). My question to everyone is: I hear that there are certain vegetables to plant next to each other and some to keep away from each other.. is this true? For instance, someone told me if you plant spinach and carrots in the same area the carrots give the spinach softer soil to grow from. Any other tips like this one? Also I am wondering which plants should be on the outer walls and which on the inside of the garden (I don't want the corn blocking the lettuce from getting any sun). Thanks!!

Also do tomatoe plants need wire cone things to grow or will a wire fence do fine?

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Wow a lot of good questions... 
Sounds like your on the right track.
Since we quit growing 20 acres vegetables years round ,
we have gone to small space also.

I like a lot of Vertical crops, Pole Beans Cucumbers, melons etc.
we grow Vertical with support.

There are so many good pieces of advice, but I still push
the Limit and experiment every year.

Here is a fun one to save space. Plant Pole beans in corn line after corn up a Foot or so.
You will have nice crop of Fall beans, and increase Nitrogen back to soil for next year.
Corn Stalks are your "poles"

Just produced a great DVD on
"Growing Tomatoes for Health and Wealth"

Send me prrivate message for Link

Post Yes, there are numerous considerations 
There are many reasons to plant certain vegetables next to others. None of them are so important that you should fret about it.

First, watering schedules. You will want to put your water loving plants next to each other and likewise with your less frequent ones. This will make sure that you are watering right. For instance, tomatoes and melons only need water once every two weeks, while lettuce, peas and onions need it twice a week.

Second, sunlight. Make sure to not plant vegetables that will shade others. If your beans shade your low plants then it will not be favorable.

Other considerations include spacing requirements etc.

As for planting with carrots, I would recommend radishes or beets in between multiple rows of carrots. For example, you can plant carrots on both sides of one row and then plant radishes in between. As the radish grows, it loosens up the dirt and they mature in 21 days, therefore, you pick them before you need to mess with the carrots.

Hope you have a great experience!

Post Tomato question 
I forgot to comment on the tomatoes. You can grow tomatoes on a wire fence just fine. I happen to grow tomatoes with no wires whatsoever. I use a black plastic system. I use irrigation pipe down the row and then I put black plastic over the entire area that the tomatoes will grow (5ft radius from the plant). The vines grow along the plastic and the tomatoes don't rot either.

The advantages to this method (if you have the space), is larger yields, they set on faster, no weeding and you don't need to stake them. Tomatoes vines love the heat so the black plastic gives them what they want.

Also, many first time gardeners don't know this. You should water tomatoes deeply, but infrequently. They send really deep roots so you should only water once every two weeks. I live in Utah where temperatures get over 100 and I still use this method. If you water too frequently then you will get beautiful plants with little or no production.

After the plant begins to set on fruit then you could water more frequently if you start having a cracking problem. 7-10 days

This watering schedule will also prevent blossom end rot.

Have fun.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1