Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Use of Peat Moss
Post Use of Peat Moss 
I have a bunch of left over peat moss from planting some blueberry bushes (supposedly they thrive in that), are there any other vegetable plants that really love the stuff too?

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Peat 
Well first off you have to understand peat moss is acidic. After that you can adjust your soil to whatever ph you need using lime. You can get a ph tester at any store with a garden area. I live in Southern Illinois where our soil tends to be acidic anyway but I use it because it is a nice organic that helps break up the clay content we have around here. I just make the garden white with lime in the spring before I till it in and every works out for me. But like I said it all depends on you specific soil. Test it. Hope it helps.

Post Use it on any veges 
Most all vegetables love peat moss. Since it is an organic compost it will improve your soil nutrients and help the soil to become more loamy. I add as much peat moss as I can afford to my whole garden every year. It makes such a difference. I live in Utah, which is highly alkaline soil, so the fact that peat moss helps my soil become more acidic is a great benefit to me, however, consider this fact as the last post recommends.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1