Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Structures and hardscapes
Post Structures and hardscapes 
Structures and hardscapes - I'm currently using the circle to show my teepees for beans and various other shapes to show other structures. It would be easier to just have an icon I could click on and size for, say, a garden shed, composter, pergola, greenhouse and water holding tank.

Post Objects and structures 
Wow, this takes the software to more of a landscaping package, but it may head in that direction anyway.
I have put a place holder in the software for this, but this won't be out in the near future. Hold on to the idea and it may be in a future version.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Thanks, Roy. We're making our gardens as user and visitor friendly as possible. Since our main garden in on our church property we have added the perennial/herb garden to encourage visitors who just want to relax and enjoy themselves - thus some of the hardscapes. We're located in an economically distressed area so we provide as many amenities as possible to the families who garden with us.

If you've checked out my plan at all you'll see it's divided into family plots on the north side with a special area for a children's teaching garden (except the fence - that's production of vining crop for food banks). The south side is for food bank production with a small area marked off just for leisure and enjoyment.

I hope others chime in on this. Gardens of any size can be enjoyed so much more by making them encourage friendly visitors.

Post how exciting! 
thegardenlady

I'm not able to see your garden, would you please do a quick check in your profile to verify that it is in a shared state. I'd really enjoy seeing what you are doing for your community.

I also support the idea of hardscapes. Thank your making the suggestion.

Tawny911

Hmmm - checked my profile and it says my garden is shared but when I look under my name in the post is says my garden is NOT shared.

Roy! Help - have I done something wrong so that others can't see my garden?

Actually, just checked an mine is listed the same. So maybe there's a problem with viewing from the forum. I'll go to the map locator, that's usually where I view them from anyway.

Thank you for responding.

Tonya

Post View Shared gardens from Forum fixed 
I found the problem and fixed it.
Now from the forum you you can see all the shared garden posters and view their garden.
Tawny911 has an amazing garden!!

Thank you for the complement on my garden Roy! Still working on the planning, but it seems to be coming together. This is a very easy to use product and is a lot of fun.

I am not able to see thegardenlady view from the forum site, as well as other.

Tawny911

Post Viewing garden from forum or from comments in Shared garden 
I think it is working now.
If not let me know.
Do you see the link in the forum that says view?
Does it fail to open the window when you click on it?

Let me know what the symtoms are and I will get if fixed.

Yes, I'm now able to see the "view" link and they are working for me now.

Thanks.

Tawny911, you DO have an amazing garden. It looks to me like you're using some integrated planting techniques to avoid chemical pesticides, etc. If you're interested, I could make some suggestions for further integration but I don't want to clog the forum if you're not interested.

Thank you for your comment thegardenlady!

I would greatly appreciate some suggetions. This will be my first vegetable garden solely on my own. My grandmother was an excellent gardener and I enjoyed helping her put up the harvest. She past away several years ago and unfortunately I didn't get a chance to be mentored and coached by her in the planting. I looked at a few of the suggested site from the forum entries and did a few searches online. Figure some learning will come from experiences. I did move a few things around, like I had my tomatoes in with my corn, which apparently the acid level and soil temperatures are different for both and cause problems. So any advice will be greatly appreciated and received with gratification.

At some point I'd like to start an herb garden, but I'm not sure if I should wait until next year or begin one in the house first where I'll have more control. I noticed that you have some herbs, which your layout will prove to be very helpful to me. I understand that there are specific timings when you want to harvest and steps on how to dry them out. So I think there may be a lot more learning on my part yet to come.

I'm truly enjoying these communications. My outside work is limited right now due to our season. But I did receive a box today from Gurney (how exciting!). I'm going to go open it up and find out what there is (most likely onions, beets, and carrots).

Tawny911

Tawny911, I'm not ignoring you, I'm putting together two presenations right now and having a small problem with keeping one of my co-presenters on task and on subject.

I'll have time to do a good post on integrated gardening in a couple of days and will move it off this forum into the appropriate forum.

There are more companion plants that I don't have worked into my plan yet, but I will give you a good list.

Post Companion planting and herbs 
hey there Tawny911...I really like the way you've done your whole yard including your house...what a great idea!! I might have to do that next year Wink

Here's a link to an article on companion planting I live by that was in one of my Mother Earth News magazines a few years ago. After reading it, the whole concept made so much sense and I realized that my grandfather grew his crops the same way. ( http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2001-02-01/Better-Bedfellows.aspx ).

This year, I've decided to do nothing but heirloom veggies and companion planting along with crop rotation. For instance, where my sweet potatoes will be in the fall, I currently have Peas to add nitrogen to the soil. I haven't added the rest of the herbs yet until I get the "sitting/work" area completed. Once that's finished, I'll have some lavender, sage, lovage, chamomile and some others planted, with others in pots.

Herbs are very easy to grow and you don't have to worry about what kind of soil to plant them in. I've been growing herbs for years and have found that the worse the soil is, the better they grow. The only herb I can't get to establish is rosemary. It likes lots of humidity and rich, rich soil. I have family in GA and was shocked to see rosemary growing like shrubbery along walkways...Needless to say I was rather envious but I'm a persistent fellow and continue trying to get at least one rosemary bush.

If you want, start small with the culinary herbs in the house or outside (basil, thyme, parsley...) then expand your horizons and intermix them with your flowers and veggies...Chives and basil are super easy and chives are a perennial (I keep these by the back door for easy snipping) One thing to keep in mind, oregano and peppermint can be very invasive so plant these in pots. 3 years ago, I buried a tire in the ground with plastic inside, punched some holes and transplanted the peppermint inside...it's done wonders to keep it in check. I didn't like the sight of the black tire so I planted some creeping thyme...now you'd never know the tire was there.

Happy gardening!!

I would add a word of caution about using old tires anywhere in a vegetable garden. Old tires are made from toxic petrochemicals and metals and leach significant amounts of zinc and cadmium into the soil.

To grow invasive plants such as mint I would use an 8-10" piece of clay drain pipe and sink it into the ground leaving a short collar above ground. Mint spreads by two methods: by root spread and, if it falls over and makes contact with the ground, anywhere there is a leaf node it will send down roots and grow happily along its way.

Other members of this family such as sage, oregano, thyme, and lavender can also become invasive.

I grow other members of this family such as basil, rosemary, savory and marjoram as annuals.

Tawny911, I've posted an easy to follow companion planting list in the shared garden discussion area of the forum. You can find it here: http://www.plangarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=413

You can probably print it out and carry it around with you as a quick reference guide as you plant.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next