Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Financial Records
Post Financial Records 
Roy,

One enhancement I would appreciate would be some basic financial records. Nothing necesarily fancy, but an entry screen where I can say I spent money for the garden and what it was for. I.e. even something as simple as a table I can enter a table like the following with an automatic total at the end of the table would be nice:

$20.33 Nursery 1 Plants and seeds
$3.99 Nursery 2 Plants

Total:
$24.32

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message

It's quite important to keep a track of how much you are spending.

Post Two finacial records to look at 
Hi,

This is a good idea, although I am always scared to know how much I spend.

There are two places where I can see this being added.
    1 . Plant information. Here you could record seed package cost or nurersy plant cost.
    2. On the Daily Log adding an optional column so you could add a cost of an event (like adding fertilizer, pesticide etc.)

Let me know if these two areas will cover your requirements.

Post daily screen 
Well, even though this is not my conversation, my vote is to put it on the daily log screen. Just add a column for cost right next to the date. If people don't like it, you can add a checkbox to make the column invisible, but I think its best if its on by default. Then users can just add more daily log entries every time they spend money. As far as linking costs to plants, it may be possible to support that, but that sounds pretty complicated. I mean, if I spend $20 on slug bait, and spread it around the whole garden over 2 months, would I really want to try to allocate a bit of the cost to all the plants? And Bok Choy needs slug bait more than tomatoes, so should it be weighted? Yuck. Too many complications. Just an overall cost on the garden would be best. And perhaps, allow for positive and negatives (or income and expense) in case you actually MAKE money on your garden! I know- its rare that anyone makes money, but we can hope! And yes, the totals might be scary. But you could make it only total the last season by default. That might help.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1