Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Lines and Grids
Post Lines and Grids 
I know you've already got an request in for a metre grid, which would be good.

Would it be possible to make either the grid, or the lines linking lines of plants a different colour or thickness, so you can see which one is which?

Susie

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post New colored row line PLUS plant by area 
This is a good idea and went hand in hand with the plant by area feature that I was working now.

Now released you can plant by Area as well as by Plant or Row.

Thanks for this input ... it helped guide this feature in the right direction!

Post Raised Bed Layout 
Hi Roy & Susie,

By searching for Raised Beds and brought to the discussion of row lines, I clicked on Roy's garden and now understand how to mark out my goal of raised beds. I have an unfinished back yard and gardening is my dream, but a permanent back injury keeps me from my goal. Seeing a show on raised beds may help me to reach the goal. I currently have Roses, Geraniums & Meyer Lemon Tree along fences and house. I used to grow tomatoes and other flowers, until last summer when I couldn't plant.

I think this is a fantastic program to be able to keep track of what you have. I tried to use Excel to keep track or the plastic marking you can put in the ground, but they disappear.

I'll keep working on this and view other gardens to help me understand. I have difficulties reading, including instructions.

I've updated my profile so others can view and give suggestions. I don't think I have the scale to size right yet. My layout includes the patio in gray. How can that be marked along with N S E W? Wouldn't that help others viewing gardens? Also, I can't get my option for HTML on in the forum.

Regards,

Richard
Santa Clarita, CA

Post Raised gardening and compass rose. 
Richard,

I have a raised bed because of gophers. Gophers are very plentiful here and very destructive. So at ground level I have chicken wire, which sometimes has to be replaced. I do have the benefit of less bending, but in the middle of the garden I have a 2x6 that I sometimes walk down and weed, so I think my garden may not be a good model - my garden is too wide. My garden is also built up with landscaping bricks so each row is 4 inches high and inset from the previous row by an inch or so. If I remember right there is also a limitation on how high it can be stacked before it has to be re-enforced.

A back is a very sensitive issue and you need to consider your exact condition, range of motion and comfort level. I wouldn't want to provide any concrete "This is how you do it" information that could lead you to injury. A garden should be enjoyed and not be a source of pain.

I was recently involved in a community garden project where raised beds were used to help older gardeners with accessibility issues. The garden was done in boxes that are on a platform off the ground and in a box filled with soil. If you like, I can take some pictures of what they did and you can see if you think it would work for you.

Again, please be careful and make sure you take care of your back first, but I think you can realize your goals.

As for a compass, this is a very popular feature that people are requesting, so it is on a list to be added very soon. Until then you can go into the garden editor, and use the line tool to make an arrow that points north and even put an N next to it, which some people smarter than I started doing a while back.

Thank you for your reply. I would have others help build the raised beds. I found a couple of simple plans that would not be expensive.

After I wrote the message, I also thought what about container gardening? I just went in and created two circles to represent containers. I also used text box to indicate patio.

Thanks again.

Richard
Santa Clarita CA

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1