Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Plant/Seed Source
Post Plant/Seed Source 
Roy,

One bit of information that would be nice to have stored with the plant information for a specific plant would be the plant or seed source. This could take the form of a free-form text entry box. It would be handy to know what greenhouse or seed catalog a given plant was obtained from for future years. It would also be handy to know -- probably a check box or radio button -- if the plant was obtained as a seed or a plant. Then, to utilize this information for future year's planning, it would be handy to have an option under the options menu that would generate a report of all plants with this information.

David Matz

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Seed source saved 
Hi David,

You probably missed the last beta that I did, but I am already working on this.
The idea is that you should be able to lay out your garden and then have the program tell you how large of seed package or how many seed packages you will need.
By knowing the length of the row, the number of plants that you entered, or area that you designated, it is then a mater of math to calculate the number of seeds that you will plant.

Look for the feature in the 2008 software as there are many peices that will be put in place over the next 6 months to help get to this goal.

Thanks, Roy

Yep, I missed the last Beta. I like that idea of automatically calculating the number of seeds, seed packets, etc. Keep the square foot gardener in mind with that one. I'm not an actual square foot gardener, but I'm using some of Mel Bartholemew's ideas for plant spacing for some plants.

The original request is less for numbers and more for records. I'm a bit on the obsessive side. In our climate, a good chunk of the garden has to be done via transplants. Although this is the first year with a real garden, I've had container gardens for many years. I have had mixed results with some plants from some greenhouses and other plant sources here. So if a plant does well, or doesn't do well, I like to know where that plant came from so that I can consider that for the next year and then possibly purchase as appropriate the next year. And although this is the first year I'll have done seeds in ages, it would be nice to know that a specific variety was available from a specific vendor next year when the good seed sale is on early in the season.

David

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1