Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
blackberries
Post blackberries 
I posted this in the wrong forum at first... but I'd sure appreciate some feedback.

I live in central Minnesota and I really want to plant and harvest blackberries. I have been having a hard time finding anything hardy enough to make it through our winters (zone 4). I'm considering the Illini Hardy blackberry, and have found sites where I can order them. I would like to buy Snyder or Eldorado, but I have not been able to find them anywhere. Does anyone know where I can buy Snyder or Eldorado blackberries? does anyone have other suggestions for which type of blackberry would be hardy enought to make it through a cold Minnesota winter.

Thanks.
Josh.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Blackberries up north 
I remember lots of Raspberries in South Dakota when I was a young lad. But I don't remember the types.

http://www.millernurseries.com - as the Illi Hardy blackberry they say they are only good to zone 5.

Raintree has blackberries, but again the best they do is zone 5 as well with many liking zones 7-9

I don't have any experience with Blackberries in Zone 4, but hopefully other will.

I saw your question about blackberries that can grow in Zone 4, so pulled out the gardening catalogs I'd looked at over the winter & found 2 varieties listed in the Gurney's Seed & Nursery Co. 2007 Spring Catalog. One is Black Hawk & the other is Darrow. Both are sold as 1 year plants from Gurney's. Their web address is: www.gurneys.com

I googled for "Eldorado blackberries" and came up with the following vendor:

www.canoerental.net/gardens/catalog.html

The price appears to be $2.99 per bareroot plant.

A similar search for "Snyder blackberries" yielded no apparent vendors.

Carey

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1