Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Base grid and resizable labels
Post Base grid and resizable labels 
Hello,

This is my first day trying the software, so I'm still muddling through. I would like to see a base grid that could be used for placing, measuring, etc. It would make it much easier to place boxes for square foot gardening, and easier to plan gardens in general.

I would like to see resizable text labels because some of the labels run into other plants. I presume that you are somehow keeping track of different vegetables and varieties so you can add them to your database.

Lastly for now, I would like to see a finer/lighter line for the 1 ft. grids. They seem a little overpowering.

Thanks for listening.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Base or background grid and resizing text. 
Let me look into a background grid and how this could be down efficiently. This may be something that could be added down the road.

Resizing the label in the layout window is already in the works and will be out sometime soon. As for vegetable labels, you can move the label independant of the plant, so that might help when they run into one another. I also hide duplicate lables when I plant two or three of the same vegetable close together. Let me know if that helps solve part of your problem.

If I remember right the square foot grid it 3 pixels, and yes that is a bit strong. I think I will keep the default this way, but may add an option to allow you to turn down the volume on this so it is not so overpowering.

Thanks for the suggestions. First day impressions are valuable because I want the software to feel good out of the box and get better as you use it more and more.

Also, try out the Quick Start Tutorials. They were designed to help get you started and show you a few tricks that may not be obvious on the first day.

Thanks for the reply! I did watch all the tutorials before I started and they were a big help. As for the labels, for example, in part of the garden I use the SFG method. When planting 4 different tomatoes in a box, no matter where I put the names, they seem to conflict either with one another or with those of another box. I made the icons smaller to give more room, but still overall, after the whole garden is placed, it gets to looking a bit jumbled.

I wound up hiding names once a seedling is planted. Since I'm currently focusing on, "What's next?"

I have a small garden and I tend to grow variety over multiples so my plangarden was actually getting distracting with all of the names.

The one thing I do have to remember is if I'm planting the same variety in different places to identify so in the names. Because when I start harvesting, I get confused which "spinach" is which. Especially when I log as "Removed," I'd like to record the right one.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1