Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Zone 5 soil amendments
Post Zone 5 soil amendments 
I have a combination of issues. I recently used the Rapitest soil test on Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potash and PH level. My soil test revealed that my soils nitrogen was depeated, and the phosphorus was slightly less than adequate. Potash was sufficient, and PH was between 6.5 and 7

I've always known my soil was a silty clay- it sticks to your shoes terribly when wet, and compacts into a very hard soil once it is stepped on or it dries out and then it cracks. This makes it difficult to weed, hoe, or dig!

I can't convince my husband to let me get a compost tumbler, and Im not at my garden more than 1x a week (its at my in-laws) so I can't get there to turn a huge pile by hand, although I do have some organic material built up- its just not breaking down. I also have quite a few bags of maple leaves I stored up in the shed from 2 years ago.

What I am wondering is what I should use to help the overall texture of my garden soil while at the same time adding nitrogen. I am wondering if it would do any good to take the organic matierial that isn't breaking down and till that into my garden along with some crushed maple leaves, then get a fertilizer? What would you do if you were me? Trying to prepare my soil and improve it this year so its a little more manageable.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Grass clipping 
If you can get grass clippings that are bathed in chemicals, that is your best bet.
Grass clippings are finely cut to start with and loaded with nitrogen.
If you mix that with your leaves (20%-40% grass) (60-80% leaves) you will compost fairly quickly without having to turn often. If you get too much grass is may over heat and the nitrogen goes away via an aweful smell. Better to start with less grass and build up.
You can sometimes get compost in 3-6 months by adding grass clippings. If you can, I would still try to turn once per month just to help get air into the pile.

You are doing the right things. Compost is the best thing to add to any soil to make it better.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1