Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Growing Editbles: Containers Vs. In Ground
Post Growing Editbles: Containers Vs. In Ground 
Hi There!
I am still a 'newbie' gardener and I am curious about the pros and cons of growing edibles in containers vs. directly in the ground. Here are a few specific questions I have:

-Is there one method that has shown to be better or are they both equally effective?
-Do certain plants do better in containers while others do better directly in ground?
-How do you know which container size is best for a particular plant? Also, how would you determine the right depth of container needed?
-If all plants are grown in the ground and one gets sick, for instance, powdery mildew, how likely is it that the surrounding plants will also get sick?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

(If interested, here is a specific example: I have a packet of Roma Tomatoes that say the "plant space" is 2 feet. Does that mean I need a container that is 2'x2' for each plant? Or could a simple square foot container probably hold one plant? Also, my packet of radishes says, "When foliage appears, thin to 1" apart", so does that mean if I were to plant these in like a 6"x6" square container I could safely grow 16 plants in this container? (Basically like 4 rows of 4?) So, just some food for thought! Thanks for reading!!)

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
I grow in the ground,in pots, in raised beds, in old tires, and earth boxes
tomatos i grow in one foot and as long as thay have food and water i do not see any problems never plant in the same spot or dirt some say 3 years some say 5
with my Square foot raised part of garden it takes 12 to 13 years to get back to that Square so wilt not problem or bugs.If grow in pots pick cool light colors for pot try not to stress the roots with a hot bake in the sun color (unless peppers like heat not dry out) Water pots and make sure drain not pluged. good rule of thumb is how tall the plant will be at harvest (radish 5 to 7 inch tall above ground) should be how deep the dirt is. tomatos and peppers I like to keep 1 to 1 1/2 feet deep Carrots or root crops how long will the root be is how deep + a few inch for room for full root. if you look at my garden you will see i do a lot of types of veg. a good thing to try is 5 10 or 15 year garden frabric and water on the dirt and not to splash dirt on leaves the frabric helps with this and helps keep moisture in and some bugs can't hide if you shake plant a little to catch bugs and some bugs need dirt to grow from eggs to grub and each year is diffrent so some years better in pots that you can move in to shade or under for hail or in house or barn for frost, but other years the pots dry out fast and over heat best thing to do is test your yard one plant in pot one in ground one in raised then count each fruit do this for 2 to 3 years to get a idea of you Zone. Hope this helps

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1