Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
More "integration"
Post More "integration" 
First I want to say that I just started using this today, and it is an AMAZING system, which has already saved me quite a bit of work figuring it all out by hand. As soon as my trial runs out, I'll be getting the subscription just so I can keep using it.

My request for a future upgrade would be to further integrate all of the different systems into one. One great example is to use the information from a designed garden to "fill in" the fields under "When To Plant" and "Vegetable Calculator". Since that information has already been filled in once, it would be more convenient to just re-use it. Even better would be to have a "When To Plant" and a "Vegetable Calculator" inside of the garden designer itself, so we can use that information while planning. The "When To Plant" could even be put into the journal as a reminder (and an optional e-mail reminder would really put it over the top), and could be checked off when finished. It would really tie the whole system together into one, instead of being a group of separate programs.

I'm sure it will be quite a bit of work to tie it all together, but maybe it's something to look into in one of the future releases?

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Vegetable garden mind reader 
Wow, it is like you are reading our mind.
We are working on a release right now to give vegetable gardeners more customization features, but integration is on a VERY short list of features to be worked on next.

We are constantly working on adding new features to the program, while we had to take a break over the last couple months on new releases, that drought in new features is about to end.

Thanks,
Roy

That's really awesome! It's already a great set of software, and it will be even more amazing once it's all pulled together.

I noticed you had mentioned (in other posts) that you wanted to build in more customization, and I had an idea that may help out. It would be nice if we could input the "vital stats" for a plant that isn't in the garden dictionary already. As an example, a hybrid of corn that isn't currently listed could be added by a user, giving its name, spacing, when to plant (by zone), growth period, harvest estimates, etc. If that was put into a global database that all users could access, it would take a lot of pressure off of you to keep adding new data, and would free you up to focus on features and system work. Other users could then add to the data and fill in the blanks (for instance, I know when to plant corn in my zone, but not in your zone, so you could add your specific information).

It would also clear up some of the requests for flowers; you could provide a few base classes of flowers, and users could go in and add the specific breeds they want, and the information for those. I'd like to add a rose garden, including vining, miniature and full-size bushes, and some perennials. If I had a few base classes (such as "vining flowers" and "bush flowers"), I could easily add the specific information for what I've planted, and other users could take advantage of that information too.

(Hopefully I'm reading your mind again!)

Other than that, I just want to say again that this is a really cool system, especially for those of us not on Windows, and thanks for building all of this and putting it out there!

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1