Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Square Foot Gardening vs Row Gardening
Would you suggest a row garden or a square foot garden?

2 Row system 50% 50% ( 8 )
Square Foot system 50% 50% ( 8 )

Total Votes : 16
Post Square Foot Gardening vs Row Gardening 
I have been reading Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew and am planning my garden for this spring. Before I started reading this, I was thinking of doing a row system with double rows. I thought the double row would be a more efficient system for watering with soker hoses and reduce wasted row space. Now I'm weighing the benefits of the SF system and trying to contemplate possible drawbacks the author doesn't mention in book. Suggestions and ideas welcome.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message Plangarden Blogs
Post SFG vs Row gardening 
To get all the 'bang' out of it, you need to follow Mel's recipe and steps to setting up a garden. It works very well for small backyard gardens, but doesn't scale well. Look at any commercial farm and you will find that they don't all adopt SFG to raise food for money.

If you have limited space, or want to lower the effort to gardening once you have your garden established, then SFGing is a good way to go.
If you have a larger space you want to grow vegetables in, or don't want to go through the trouble and expense of creating a SFG, then row gardening might be for you.

SFGing is also good if you have horrible soil and need to put lots of work into it just to grow the simplest of vegetables.

I am not for or against SFGing. You will want to decide what fits you and what you want out of your garden.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message Plangarden Blogs
Post Sqare-foot vs. Row gardening 
I think a happy medium between the two may be found in Ed Smith's "Vegetable Gardener's Bible." Wide, deep beds are used that allow more productivity per area, but it's not as intensive as SFG.

Jordy5

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
to save money and just to try the idea of SFG you can do what i did
_ til the land
_ lay out Squares i used 1x1 boards (Cheap) and String the first year
_ staple Black Garden Frabric to back of wood lay down on top of soil
_ plant seed in own soil I have Black Min top soil
_water no weeds and good return +++++
_people stop by to see whats Going on and would ask for food
draw backs
_ if seed pack dose not say how tall will grow will shade others behind
_ one Square is not enuf to Can of beets and others Veg so if you like one veg better plant 2 or 3, 1 foot squares
_if tilled land make sure lawnmower can get thru SFG and replant Seed grass or something or MUDDY
_people stop by to see whats Going on and would ask for food (i work nights)

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Square Foot Gardening vs Row Gardening 
I have 2 SFG's, plus a couple of long ~ 30'x2' rows. I prefer the rows. I loved the fact that I only needed to weed a few blades of grass from my SFG last year. But this year, I've noticed a very high population of slugs and such that enjoy hanging out in the wood creases, plus more weeds, and my seeds are not starting as well outdoors as last year - even though I added compost. It could be something I did wrong, but the rows are cheaper - and I'm cheap! I have great midwestern soil and a large back yard, so SFG is not something I need. The long row is easier to work around, I just add lot's of grass to mulch down the weeds. I'm also planning to use cover crops this year and attempt to try out the no-till method. We'll see how that goes. Shocked Next year, I'm definitely removing my SFG's. It was a fun experiment and it is a great idea for people with limited space, or poor soil.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1