Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Feedback on my garden...
Post Feedback on my garden... 
Looking for some feedback on my garden... Dont know what to expect from the swiss chard or rhubarb. I'm also excited about the kale.
Any tips or suggestions will be welcome.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post feed back 
what is it you want to know?

Post Feedback 
Really nice garden Spun! My experience with Rhubarb is I can get it to grow anywhere. I found out that if I cut it back at the end of the first year, the second year, the shoots were much sweeter after "settling in". I haven't grown Swiss Chard.

I'm into companion planting and heirloom veggies. You should take a look at the companion planting post Gardenlady posted and/or go to Mother Earth News and search for Better Bed Fellows. Both of these will give you good ideas as to what to plant to attract beneficial insects, repel pests for certain plants and to help encourage plant growth to neighbors.

Happy Gardening!

I'm just adding rhubarb to the garden this year so I know we won't have any to harvest and share. I'm looking forward to enjoying it next year though.

As for swiss chard, I love the stuff. We grew the "bright lights" swiss chard last year and it was very popular with our clients. Bright lights is a giant chard and the seed packs include seeds for white, yellow and red-stemmed chard. Chard is a good, hardy grower and, the more you harvest the outer leaves, the better it produces.

I have a pair of "garden scissors" I use for harvesting chard. Cut, don't pull, the outer leaves when they reach a good usable size, leaving the roots and the center of each plant undisturbed.

One of our gardeners didn't harvest his chard very often last year and ended up with leaves
nearly 3 feet tall and slightly bitter.

Looks like a nice plan to me. As for the Swiss Chard...I love the stuff Very Happy . It's basically a mild spinach and I eat TONS of it all summer long. Cooked in a little vinegar is my favorite. Hope you like it too!

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1