Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
new organic garden layout question.
Post new organic garden layout question. 
I am a rookie to growing anything. I have started a garden area in the corner of my back yard in the South East corner, in a triangle, that is about 30' across the East side, going North to South, and then it goes West about 45' then at an angle to the northeast to the point of beginning. The narrow side is on the East side. The soil has been prepped with Bone meal, cotton bur compost, poultry fertilizer and a few other things that escape me right now. (a friend added all of the stuff). I don't know where to begin. I have done a layout of what I want to do and some of the plants that I will be using. If anyone can look at it and tell me what they may recommend, I sure would appreciate it. I want to have asparagus in an area that will last for a long time and I want to be careful of shading any plants. I did put in some onions and some of the strawberry plants the other day. I also have some potatos ready to plant too. The layout that I have is what I am proposing, not what I have already done. Thanks for looking!

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post organic garden ideas 
First, have you done a soil test. A lot of times this can help save a lot of frustration and wasted time and money. A local nursery or county exchange office can tell you where you get this done near you at a reasonable cost. Have good soil makes everything else easy. You know what you can grow or how to get want to want to grow going.

Do you like peas or beans? These add nitrogen to the soil. Corn needs a lot of nitrogen. If you plant beans next to corn it can help if you soil is marginal on the amount of nitrogen in it.

Garlic is something that is normally planted in the fall to let the roots establish. If you want garlic this year, you need to get it in as soon as you can.

Since the items you have at the bottom of the garden are all things that can be in the garden for several seasons, you may want to replace the pepper with another perenial, just a thought.

A good way to grow potatoes is to dig a hole for them burry them in the center of the hole and as it grows to 8 inches high cover half of it with dirt. Repeat this a few times and you will get more potatoes.

If you start to dig your garden and want to get some local tricks and tips you could try this book

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1