Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
New to southern Illinois
Post New to southern Illinois 
I am going to start my first vegie and herb garden since moving to southern Illinios, I think this is Zone 6a. I have noticed that most gardeners on this site seem to be starting from plants rather than seeds. I'm hoping that if I get my seeds in promptly after last frost danger (mid April) that I will be able to have harvestable plants before hot weather. Then I plan to plant the vegies that like the fall weather. It would be a lot easier for me to put in small plants mid summer for fall harvesting because I have no space to start them inside this time of year. If anyone has info on area 6a, clay, alkaline soil with Kentucky like weather and growing season, let me know. Thanks. Nice site. I really appreciate the program for planning my plot as I have little ability in that area. Smile PS: how do I turn on HTML in here?

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Depending on what part of Southern Illinois you are in the soil will be different. Usually though you will be working with an acid soil, clay soil. depending on where you are starting and the whole raised beds vs tilled ground thing souther Illinois is great for growing. I already have lettuce, onions, cabbage and brussel sprouts going strong. I always start my lettuce by seed. the rule around here is plant lettuce on Valentines day. There are really alot of differences in the areas here. also depending if you are in the country or in town. But to directly answer your question yes most people around here do start from plants. The springs around here are a bit unpredictable such as the last few twenty some degree days after eightys in the first part of march. I have even seen a foot of snow in april. Then you get into the rain thing so I just start the cold natured plants first and hope for the best you always have enought time around here to start over.
hope this helps.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1