Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
measuring tape bug?
Post measuring tape bug? 
Hi

I drew my layout by adding on rectangles to make one big strip, and when I use the measuring tape to get a total length, it comes out as being longer than the sum of the parts. hmmmmmm....

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message

I looked at your garden (under "Shared Gardens") and added up the individual rectangles, coming up with 103' x 6', and when I measured the total length, it comes out to about 108.5 ft - so you're right. Roy and I will look into this.

Another thing. It looks like you've connected these separate colored rectangles to color-code certain parts of your garden. If these color-coded sections represent a unique vegetable/edible that you plan to grow in that section, you can also color code areas within your garden that represent a particular vegetable in the "Manage Vegetables" section. Suppose you want to grow artichokes in your "leftmost" rectangle. Select artichoke from the "Vegetable Selector", then in the "Plant Information" window, select "Area" to display a group of artichokes and then select whatever color you wish. That way, you only have to select one long rectangle in the "Lay out Plot" section, and because you've got an enviable long garden Very Happy , I would turn on the 1ft grid to help you gauge distance/length. The screen shots (see below) hopefully visually explain what I just wrote.

In the "Shared Gardens" page, http://www.plangarden.com/share/ , have a look at "taijigal's" garden and you'll see what I mean. Feel free to move things around to get a sense of what I did. Your changes to my "demo garden" will not be saved so play around with it as much as you wish!

Now if the motive for attaching separate rectangles has absolutely nothing to do with the above, then just ignore it all Smile I would, however, be curious to know what's on your mind Wink

Hang tight, we'll figure out what's going on with the tape.

Giselle

VegColorCode_2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.84 KB
 Viewed:  11394 Time(s)

VegColorCode_2.jpg

VegColorCode.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.27 KB
 Viewed:  11394 Time(s)

VegColorCode.jpg

Post My sad story. 
Embarassed My sad story is that when creating Plangarden for small gardens, I liked the looked of chamfered (rounded) corners, so I added a line style around the box of 5 pixels. For small gardens this is not detectable. When putting several rectangles together, you see the 5 pixels multiplied by 10 rectangles in your garden, equal to 50 pixels - which amounts to the extra 5 feet that the tape measure indicates!

I can not change this without affecting all other users' gardens. In the future, I could offer an option to have rounded corners (inaccurate but pretty) or true rectangles (accurate but blocky).

For now, I have three solutions:

1. If you permit me to change your garden, I can line up all the rectangles and give you the look you want. If you start moving the shapes, you will need to watch how the rectangles are put together.

2. You can put a rectangle above your garden that is 103 feet long and 1 foot wide, and turn on the square foot grid. Use this rectangle as a measuring tool. Then move your rectangles using the grid on the long rectangle as a reference.

3. The last option is to do what Giselle suggested in the previous response.

Finaly I want to thank you very much for pointing this out. As Plangarden now handles large gardens, I am glad to know about the measurement issue so I can formulate a solution! I greatly appreciate the feedback.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Thanks,
Roy

Thank you both for answering my question so quickly. The reason for the different colours is that we have some areas that have been cover cropped, some that have been sheet mulched, and one control and one compost area. and 2 benches. We're hoping to compare which has better results. I believe the rectangles themselves are accurate (I hope to verify this soon), and then I would love it if they could all be lined up precisely. I was looking for a 'snap-to-grid' or similar function, but couldn't find one.

Thanks again for your answer and for your product. I'll probably be in touch again soon....

Post Plot dimensions and measuring tame 
Just starting out, but have a couple of questions... When I am planning my garden, the dimensions of my garden do not show up. Also, the measuring tape seems "fixed" at one point to the grid and therefore it is not possible go get an accurate measurement. What am I doing wrong???

Post Tape measure movement 
The tapemeasure is made to be moved around the screen.
Here are some tips to help you.
1. Turn off panning. To do this go to the Zoom slider and click on the green button marked "Pan" it will change to an empty circle. That stops the mouse from grabbing your whole garden when you want to move the tape measure.

2. Click on the yellow part of the tape measure allows you to move that end of the tape measure very easily.
3. Click on the line of the tape measure. If you are REALLY over the line it will turn RED. Then the line of the tape measure turns RED that means you can drag the entire tape measure as one unit and move it around.
4. Finally the circle at the end of the tape measure moves the line end point around. You use this to do final measurements and check to make sure things are where you want them relative to your real garden. When you press the mouse button and you are on the circle the line of the tape measure will turn red.

If you need more help, please let me know.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1