Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Water requirements
Post Water requirements 
I would like to see a view that shows watering requireemnts by shading. This would help a novice plan where to plant to maximize water use and minimize watering time. I am planting on a slope and want heavy water users at the base.

Post Water hungry plants together 
Dave,

Ok, you got me on this one. It is great idea that I never had even considered. It has the same problem as the one about plant spacing. The code is easy, the database entries is hard, but I will do it. For the next week I will be working on the site in general and not as much on the application, but as you can see in the release notes that there are lots of features being added all the time and I do listen to the great ideas and get to them as fast as I can.

BTW - What soil type do you have. Where I am, this would be hard to do because I have a lot of clay and at the bottom of the hill would always be water logged. If you have good well drained soil, you should not have problems.

Just from what I know things like pumpkins, watermelon would love the bottom of your hill. I think that Tomatoes and squash would be near by. Let me do some more reasearch and get back to you. Anyone else have good ideas?

Thanks,
Roy

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Water Planning 
My soil is heavy clay. I do have plans for the squash type vegetables to live at the low end. There is a swale that carries surface water away from the bottom so I don't think things will drown.

I am glad you like the idea- we really like your site and program. I am getting into Flash/PHP/AJAX and this is a good working example to boot. I am amazed at how many techies have dirt under their nails.

My progress with garden can be tracked at http://360.yahoo.com/david_mcclelland

Post Heavy clay. 
Dave,
I have heavy clay too. In the worst places I have gone at it with a pick ax and it can be like concrete. Thus my garden is raised with mostly topsoil and some of the clay soil mixed in.

I saw your 360 site. Nice to get to know people that are using your site. When I grew up my brother took care of the chickens and got to gather and count the eggs.

Throw some Perl, SQL and XML into your tech mixture and that is pretty much this site. I have waited and watched actionscript mature into a pretty decent language. If Actionscript 3.0 has REAL regular expressions I will be a happy camper and get to spend more time getting diry under my fingernails and less time hacking in deficiences of the langauge.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1