Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Harvesting and Varieties
Post Harvesting and Varieties 
This really isn't an enhancement request, more of a question of how to address a particular task.

My garden space is really: 2 3'x4' beds, 1 2'x8' bed, 1 5'x6' berry bed plus containers.

I am currently growing:
~9 varieties of tomato
~14 varieties of pepper
3 varieties of eggplant
1 zucchini
1 crookneck squash
2 cucumbers

You get the idea. For the last 3 weeks, I've had the pleasure of harvesting something every 3 days or so, but it's usually: 1 cuke and 1 eggplant, 1 cuke and 1 zucchini, etc

In order for me to record harvests, I have to scroll past the 12 varieties of garlic I grew over the winter, find the right plant (ie not all eggplants are planted near each other) and regard the harvest. I've actually resorted back to paper and pencil.

I feel like I'm now hitting a road block with respect to dealing with wanting to grow variety in a small space. I'd like to be able to hide removed plants from the harvest list. Or maybe be able to print harvest sheets in calendar layout, I can write in my harvest and then at the end of the season, just enter totals or monthly subtotals into the application?

This past week for example, I harvested:
7/16 1 zucchini, 1 lb 1 oz; 1 cucumber, 6.8 oz, 4 cherry toms
7/17 1 cucumber, 7.8 oz
7/19 1 lavender eggplant, 10.2 oz; 1 cucumber 6.9 oz, 1 cherry tom
7/20 2 ichiban eggplants, 3 oz each; 2 cherry toms

I'm not exactly motivated to log in for each entry. I'm also not tracking herb harvests as I'm harvesting as needed for cooking dishes.

I'm kind of dreading how I'll be recording tomatoes and peppers when the time comes.

Thanks.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Harvest and Daily Log tag 
Good idea and I agree.
I think that both the harvest and daily log need to be updated to allow you to add what you want and to ignore the rest.
I don't keep track on all my harvests either. I don't track salads or herb harvests. I am interested in Garlic and other harvests.

There will be new features in this area, I am still working out how I want it to work.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Post Re: Harvest and Daily Log tag 
roystahl wrote:

There will be new features in this area, I am still working out how I want it to work.

Roy,

Since you're working out ideas, here's what I would love to see:

1. A button in the Plant Information pane of the Manage Vegetables screen labeled "Harvest". When you click that button, it pops up a screen with an editable date defaulted to the current date, a quantity (number) defaulted to a blank value, and a weight entry box defaulted to a blank value. At the bottom, a button for "record harvest" and another for "reset harvest." Then, when I want to go in and enter harvests, I'd just have to find the plant on the manage vegetables screen, click on harvest, enter a few values. And I wouldn't have to deal with scrolling in the harvest screen. The quantity as a number isn't all that important for something like beans or peas, but for something like my squashes, it would be handy to know that on a given day I harvested one 5 pound zucchini because I was on vacation versus several smaller zucchinis that added up to 5 pounds. So maybe making either weight or quantity required, but not both in the entry window would be a good idea.

2. A nice way to print out a harvest. I'd like to be able to have a print out for the end of the season that I can look at as I plan for the next season. It wouldn't have to be fancy. I'd be happy with a listing like the following:

Plant Name
Date Quantity Weight (Unit user selected for weight)

Total

So for example:

Eight Ball
Date Quantity Weight(Oz)
7/16 1 11
7/20 1 15
7/21 1 13
Total 3 38

3. As for the log, I think the BIGGEST help to me would be to either offer a reverse chronological sort so that the newest entry is at the top (so that you don't have to scroll down to the bottom to edit the log entry) or for the program to after you add a log entry, have it take you to the new entry and save the scrolling.

4. I'd also like to have the log printable, so that again at the end of the season I can go through my log entries and plan for the next year. Additionally, with a printed log, harvest record, and garden layout, I have a solid backup in case anything happens on your server and data is lost. I have no doubt you have good backups, but I know things happen to backups to make them not usable.

David

Post Harvest and Daily Log Enhancments 
These are good ideas and I will work them into the plan.
As for printable versions of the harvest and daily log, I will see if I can put out a quick HTML version that will be printable and in a nice format. This shouldn't take to long and will be a nice enhancement to the program.

Thanks for the input!!

Post Got one of my items figured out... 
Roy,

I just stumbled upon the fact that I can do a reverse chronological sort on the log so new entries post at the top rather than at the bottom. So don't worry about that.

I love the idea of a simple HTML page for the log and harvest.

David

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1