Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Types of flowers and varieties
Post Semi-circular deck 
Hi fishinangie,

We hear you on your suggestions for the berry bushes and herbs. We'd like to enable users the ability to select from a larger database of icons and rename them if they wish. Because we're trying to design Plangarden in a way that also incorporates plant database info into the icons (e.g. if you chose a pole bean icon, you could get access to the information related to that particular variety's growing characteristics), it's taking a bit longer. So we're doing something much more than offering a "drawing" program. We're excited and working hard to put these new features in place so please bear with us!

In the meantime, you can create a semi-circular deck with a bordering flower patch by overlaying one semi-circle over the other. I see you've already learned to manipulate shapes with your "capsule" shaped garden. But for others who may read this, I'll just give a few more specifics to what you already know.

See the attached example screen shots below. Go to the "Lay Out Plot" tab and select under the Garden Layout Editor the "Curve" shape. If your deck has a diameter of 10 ft, just type in "10" under plot shape paramenters. Then click and drag the little "dot" where I've shown the red arrow to increase or decrease the curvature of your deck. Use the tape measure to define the exact radius.

Now add another "curve" but this time make it smaller so that it "sits" on top of the larger curve. Give it a different color. In my example, the flower patch is brown, whereas the deck is green. You can select any of the optional colors.

Basically, you can add shapes on top of each other, but note that the most recently added shape will be "on top of" earlier added shapes.

The last thing I would do is add text to define what the objects are (if you wish).

PLEASE NOTE: When you add shapes, you may not see it appear on your screen because the added shape is somewhere else on your "canvas", usually on the top left. Click and drag on the white space and/or use the zoom functions to "find" your shapes. This is frustrating and will be fixed in a future revision so that shapes will appear right next to the Garden Layout Editor box and not in the current default (top left) of the canvas.

Don't forget that you can click and drag on most objects, including the names of your plants to make your garden look neater. We have a bunch of tutorials (see the home page left navigation bar) to help users exploit the capabilities of Plangarden.

Please do not relocate your existing garden layout, ie. move your existing capsule-shaped plot (I took a peek at your garden Wink ) as your veggies will not follow the new location!

Let me know if there's anything else we can do to help! - Giselle

Semicirc_3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.43 KB
 Viewed:  23554 Time(s)

Semicirc_3.jpg

Semicirc_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.22 KB
 Viewed:  23558 Time(s)

Semicirc_1.jpg

Semicirc_2.jpg
 Description:
Note that you can flip or rotate shapes around just by clicking and moving the corners.
 Filesize:  9.61 KB
 Viewed:  23560 Time(s)

Semicirc_2.jpg

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Sorry this is not for me, thanks for the opportunity.

I'm still having difficulty in adapting this to my gardening style since I have containers in my sunroom and an AeroGarden appliance in my kitchen.

Pat McCoy

Post Trouble with garden layout 
Hi PayMcCoy,

Can you send me a picture of your garden area and I can see what I can dream up to help?

Post Re: Trouble with garden layout 
roystahl wrote:
Hi PatMcCoy,

Can you send me a picture of your garden area and I can see what I can dream up to help?

Unfortunately, I don't have the means to take and send a picture of the containers in my SunRoom and AeroGarden. Since I live in a condominium, without any outdoor yard space, I'm limited to what I can do indoors.

Pat McCoy

Post Describe your garden or probem 
Hi PatMcCoy,

Can you describe your garden or problem and I will see if I can help from that?

I looked at your garden and see that you started with a green rectangle and then put a purple rectangle over it with the grid turned on and a few plants.
If you can let me know from that what you need help with, I will try my best to get you going with the software.

Post Re: Describe your garden or probem 
roystahl wrote:
Hi PatMcCoy,

Can you describe your garden or problem and I will see if I can help from that?

I looked at your garden and see that you started with a green rectangle and then put a purple rectangle over it with the grid turned on and a few plants.
If you can let me know from that what you need help with, I will try my best to get you going with the software.

Well, I have a sunroom that faces in a somewhat southerly direction and my Aerogarden is on a small countertop in the small kitchen at the opposite end of the condo. The sunroom contains a Floralight indoor garden on the left side of the room and plant containers along the windowsills. I also have several larger containers of plants around the perimeter of the sunroom floor. Because the sunroom is small, the plant containers are quite crowded and does not leave much floor space.

Thanks!

Pat McCoy

Well when I first attempted to try to figure out this program back in May, as one of the testers for the National Home Gardening Club, I was quickly turned off by the product and couldn't even figure out how to use it. Sad I don't do vegetable gardens and my various flower gardens were already in place. I was plenty busy on my own in my garden in May, June and July. Then I went on a trip to England for nearly 4 weeks at the end of the summer and I simply didn't have time before leaving to try to dink around with this test anymore. Rolling Eyes By the time we got back in Sept. I was busy cleaning up my flower beds. I just now went back to the program and I still don't understand how to use it. Because of this difficulty of not being able to figure it out myself, it sure isn't something I'd be comfortable recommending to any one else. Embarassed Sorry that I just don't understand how to make use of this.

And for those of us who are limited to indoor gardening, either because we live in condos without yards or have other physical challenges, this makes things a bit more complicated in attempting to use this program.

Pat McCoy

Smile Different space shapes would be nice so I don't have to be a geometry wiz to figure it out. I like the idea of being able to add my own varieties. Since I mainly use the older, organic varieties, I had to add them to the list myself. I also was a tester, and found that I mostly like this program. I need to log in more and enter what's happening. That's not the program's fault, just mine! I would also like an archive of past gardens. Maybe that's already there, I just haven't created a new garden for next year, yet. Is there an archive?

Kaeti

Post Vegetable gardening and saving 
Plangarden is really meant for vegetable gardeners. It does not do as well for people that primarily do flower gardening.
It is also not meant for everyone. It is built for ease of use, but there are always some setups that it is not designed for. It will improve over time.

I will look at adding new shapes and designs to the software.

As for archiving, Plangarden archives every save that you make. Currently there is no way for you to access these, but if you want to go back to an old version of the garden that you worked on, let us know.

I'm a newbie, just signed up and am getting geared up for the spring hoping that this software will help me keep a better record of what I plant and where. I saw earlier in this thread that you guys were working on a way to allow users to manage their own vegetable entries. Whats the status on that? I have about 30 varieties of Sugar cane that I want to be able to manage as part of my garden.

Thanks,

dave

Post When the world is user defined vegetables comming out? 
First, let me say that I would have never guessed that Plangarden would be used for sugar cane.

There are plans to have releases this spring of a new version of Plangarden that will contain this feature.
Once the new release is done that moves Plangarden to a new platform, then there will very rapidly be releases that incorporate the most requested features and this is on the very top of that list.

To add sugar cane, there will need to be an icon for it. Something else to add to the plan list.

Thanks of the input.

Post Re: When the world is user defined vegetables comming out? 
roystahl wrote:
First, let me say that I would have never guessed that Plangarden would be used for sugar cane.

I think based on my understanding of how this works it should work well for sugar cane. Planting of the cane is very similar to other vegetables, except instead of planting seeds you're laying stalks in the ground. I guess the big difference would be that the cane plots will continue to produce over a few years (I think around 3-5 years).

The big reason I was looking for a program such as this one is that last fall I planted about 20 varieties in about 6 rows. Due to the dry weather I only had a few stalks come up. This fall when I went to plant more I realized I didn't know what I had. I used some tongue depressants to mark the plots, but over the year they dissapeared. I think that with this system I can map out the varieties better and have a "map" to refer to.

Knowing what varieties I have is going to be very important if I can ever grow enough cane to make any syrup. Smile

Dave

Reply to gardening topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2