Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Types of flowers and varieties
Post Types of flowers and varieties 
6 new flower types have been added.
Here is your place to let us know what types and varieties that you want to see added to the program.
What type is missing that you need or let what is your favorite variety you would like to see added.

Remember that soon a version of Plangarden will be released that will allow you to customize what you grow. Essentially you will be able to build your own plant selector.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message

I was selected by the National Home Gardening Club to test the Plangarden software, which I've truly enjoyed. However, I'm more of a flower person than a vegetable person so am thrilled with the expansion to flowers. I've worked for years at a wonderful nursery and have learned so much. Now I'll be able to use that knowledge even more as I have a friend beginning new construction and he has asked me to design the landscaping. Perfect timing. As for adding types of flowers, just keep adding---sun, shade, etc. Are you able to add bits of information such as zones, cold tolerances, growth patterns? That would be helpful, too, in selecting plants.

Thanks alot,

Debra Still
Kennewick WA

I was supposed to have this program as a tester.........I downloaded it, played around with it for a while and saved it.
I don't know what happened but I lost the program........how do I get it back????

I too am testing this product for National Home Garden Club and being from South Texas we could use more heat and water-less friendly plants and flowers on here to play with.

Love everything else you have going here!!

I'm also testing this for the National Home Garden Club. Due to space limitations, I am an Indoor Gardener so I am trying to figure out how to adapt this software for gardeners like me.

PatMcCoy

I am testing this product for the Nat'l Home Gardening Club. As a tester, do I have permission to download the new versions. If so, where do I do this?
Sylvia
Raleigh, NC[/quote]

I also signed up for this program and looked at it. Maybe I'm missing something, but where is the ability to create paths in the garden? My garden is 20x40 and I have a pond in the middle of it and small seating area of terra cotta tiles. Is there a way to put that in?

Regular shape like paths are certainly possible just requires a little imagination.
Not sure about irregular shapes but I'm sure Roy will be along along to advise on freestyle drawing.

So many testers from the NHGC............. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Cheers

Post Mega Reply 
Patrica - In the next version of the software I will have a new user configurable vegetable selector that should go a long way to helping you.

PatMcCoy - Of course the "Know when to plant" is of no value to you. But you can come up with a layout that represents your inside space / containers and use the program to track and record your garden. Let me know if you run into special needs that the software doesn't cover.

golbyj55 - The same software that is accessible from the site can be downloaded. It still accesses the data from the website, but is much better for people with dial-up or other restrictions that make the web-only version cumbersome. It is at www.plangarden.com/support Pick the software you need from the bottom of the page, either the PC or Mac version. If you pick the .exe file you need to right-click and select "Save As" and put it anywhere on your PC, I recommend putting it on the desktop. There is no install or uninstall, just double click to use. To remove, just delete it.

Karan - dmac is correct I am looking at different ways to do more complex curves in a user friendly way. You can also look at some cool gardens that people have created with a little bit of imagination in the "Lay Out Plot" tab. Just remember that plot shapes will stack on top of each other based on which shapes were added last (i.e. the last shape added can be overlaid on a larger shape). Look at the "Create Garden Walkways" Quick Tip: http://www.plangarden.com/manual/quicktips/

Also, the first part of this tutorial http://www.plangarden.com/manual/Manage_Vegetables.htm will show you more explicitly on how to add walkways and other objects.

Here's a Shared Garden from a user named "Virginia" who has been one of Plangarden's most resourceful and imaginative users: http://www.plangarden.com/share/share.php?userFile=Virginia

You are free to "tweek" her garden, meaning go to the "Lay Out Plot" tab and see what she did to create those walkways and shapes. None of your changes can be saved so do not worry. You will not damage her garden!

dmac - The National Home Garden Club offered to proved testers for the software, so many signed up to test and evaluate it this season. I am getting more great feedback and input. So that is why you see all the NHGC users now posting to the site.

Post Re: Mega Reply 
roystahl wrote:
Patrica - In the next version of the software I will have a new user configurable vegetable selector that should go a long way to helping you.

PatMcCoy - Of course the "Know when to plant" is of no value to you. But you can come up with a layout that represents your inside space / containers and use the program to track and record your garden. Let me know if you run into special needs that the software doesn't cover.

golbyj55 - The same software that is accessible from the site can be downloaded. It still accesses the data from the website, but is much better for people with dial-up or other restrictions that make the web-only version cumbersome. It is at www.plangarden.com/support Pick the software you need from the bottom of the page, either the PC or Mac version. If you pick the .exe file you need to right-click and select "Save As" and put it anywhere on your PC, I recommend putting it on the desktop. There is no install or uninstall, just double click to use. To remove, just delete it.

Karan - dmac is correct I am looking at different ways to do more complex curves in a user friendly way. You can also look at some cool gardens that people have created with a little bit of imagination in the "Lay Out Plot" tab. Just remember that plot shapes will stack on top of each other based on which shapes were added last (i.e. the last shape added can be overlaid on a larger shape). Look at the "Create Garden Walkways" Quick Tip: http://www.plangarden.com/manual/quicktips/

Also, the first part of this tutorial http://www.plangarden.com/manual/Manage_Vegetables.htm will show you more explicitly on how to add walkways and other objects.

Here's a Shared Garden from a user named "Virginia" who has been one of Plangarden's most resourceful and imaginative users: http://www.plangarden.com/share/share.php?userFile=Virginia

You are free to "tweek" her garden, meaning go to the "Lay Out Plot" tab and see what she did to create those walkways and shapes. None of your changes can be saved so do not worry. You will not damage her garden!

dmac - The National Home Garden Club offered to proved testers for the software, so many signed up to test and evaluate it this season. I am getting more great feedback and input. So that is why you see all the NHGC users now posting to the site.

Thanks, Roy! Smile

PatMcCoy

Post planagram soft ware 
This is the first that I have received about the program. I haven't had anything to download and really don't know really what it is all about. I have a survey to answer, but there is no way I can answer this when I don't know what they are talking about.

Loubil

Post new flower choices are helpful 
I'm testing this for National Home Gardening Club as well. I fooled around with it when I first got the link, but am not a big veggie gardener so I got bored pretty fast. The news of an update got me back in here. The new basic flower shapes are really good. I put them in my plot and relabeled them. I decided I could do the same thing with the fruit tree as well, so it can be a stand in for other trees. Unfortunately I lost my work trying to "undo" someting. Eeek! I'll keep working on it.

Maybe an auto save feature?

Can we get some herbs not in pots? Or maybe some pots or containers and then we can plant in those?

Thanks!

Post garden planner 
I have to be honest, I downloaded it and tried to figure out how to use the program at first. I thought I saved it under my favorites, and could not find it when I went back in. I have not had a chance to give an honest opinion yet. I would love to play around with it this weekend when I have more time and then come back and tell you how useful I really feel that it will be to me.

Post Plangarden operates over the internet 
Loubil and Granniewade -

Hope I understand your questions correctly but if not, please let me know:

Plangarden "software" is an Internet application that you connect to when you log on. You do not have to download it like traditional software. The program and your garden file are not stored permanently on your PC or MAC but resides in a secure server just like if you had a Yahoo! email account. You don't have the email program or your email files in your PC because they all reside in a Yahoo! server. Read more below for the advantages of an Internet-based software program*

So when you log on with your user name and password, you will be brought to the "My Account" page. What you need to do is click on the button "Start Plangarden" at the top of the page. The application will take about 15-30 secs to load up. Then you proceed and do what you need to do - Lay Out your plot, Manage Vegetables, etc.

I highly recommend taking the tutorials. If you have 3 minutes to spare, try the "Quick Tour": http://plangarden.com/manual/quick_tour.htm

We also have the tutorials link on the home page for even more training on how to use the application.

Incidentally, Plangarden can also be downloaded on your PC for folks who don't have a fast internet connection (i.e. are still on dial-up). However you still need to be connected to the Internet as your garden file is saved over the Web (i.e. not on your hard drive). The downloaded version also checks to make sure that you have the most current version of Plangarden available.

* Two main benefits of having a Web- or Internet-based application:

- If your computer or disk crashes, we have backups of your garden info (assuming you've been conscientiously taking saves of your garden).
- We can modify the program continually without having everyone download new versions or upgrades every time we make changes to improve the software.

Post Additional plant varieties 
Could you add blueberries and blackberries? I also love to plant flowering vines, could there be an option for a vine? Then we can just rename it to whatever vine it is we are growing.

I also like the suggestion of herbs not in pots because I have lots of herbs growing in my garden, but not all are in pots. Lavender, rosemary, thyme, basil, mint...

I have a very large semicircular deck and I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate that into my garden layout... any suggestions? I have many potted plants on my deck, then a flower bed that encircles the deck. It was very frustrating trying to work on the layout, so I finally gave up and just put the plants on "white" space.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next