Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Newbie here needs advice on growing veggies and herbs
Post Newbie here needs advice on growing veggies and herbs 
I have been a plant gardner for many years and want to try growing some veggies and herbs. I have a total of 4 flowerbeds. I also have several shrubs around various patrs of my front and backyard I also do container gardening that sits on my front porch. Everything I have is grown in direct sun. The only partial shade I have would be on my front porch. Are there any vegetables or herbs that can be grown in containers? I also work full time and think it would be better for me to start off small. Any advice would be appreciated. Very Happy

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Container Gardening Seed Collection 
Vegetables and herbs typically like to be in full sun as well. At least the ones I'm familiar with.

As to container gardening, this seed collection might be able to give you some ideas. (I like buying from Seeds of Change too btw.)

Edible Patio Container Gardening Seed Collection

Post Container veggies 
Hi kh,

We've successfully grown all sorts of lettuces, broccoli, bok choi, spinach, parsnips, green onions, potatoes in containers - half wine barrels with minimum of 18" soil depth. The lettuces and spinach have done well in a partly to mostly shaded area.

I've had container-grown Early Girl tomatoes in CT that did excellently. Herbs work terrific in containers but like penguin said, they love sun.

You can check out my garden by clicking on the link on the left and reading my activity logs.

Regards,
Giselle

I had real good luck with the Earthbox and growing tomatoes, herbs and flowers. I like the fact that there is water storage in the bottom so you don't have to water so much. I got a lot of tomatoes last year and only had 2 plants. Smile

Some gardeners are starting to mix their vegetable plants into their existing flower beds. Not only will you get to enjoy your flowers, you can stop and pick a tomato! Garden Harvest Supply is a good online source for vegetable plants and seed.

my mother uses earthboxes and grows loads of tomatoes with little effort..
I grow rosemary and thyme in pots, I think a lot of herbs do well in pots, plus you can have them right at your back door to pick for cooking!

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1