Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Sigh, failed crop?
Post Sigh, failed crop? 
Hi,

How do I identfiy a failed crop? Shall I indicate it to be "harvested?"

I lost all of my carrot seedlings to sow bugs. Sad

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Failed Crop / icon. alpha color ?? 
Personally, I would rather not put in a failed crop feature. I would like to pretend that it doesn't happen.
But the reality is that I pulled two brocolli out that got hit by a grub that eats away the root, so I feel your pain.

Let me think about this and see see what makes sense. I may bounce around the idea for a few days.

Sow bugs are normally harmless and only eat decaying matter. But when they turn on young plants it gets ugly. I have lots of them in my garden and they leave things along for the most part, but I do eliminate or reduce there numbers if I see to many of them in an area. Since I have never gone after them, I don't know the best control for them. Sad

Post Failed Crop 
Because it's spring (wet) and I have hoops and a garden cover over one bed, it is also a favorable environment for sow bugs. They've decimated my sugar daddy peas, out of 29 seeds, I have 2 plants.

I've been using DE (diamateous earth) but when it gets wet, it seems a little ineffective. Earlier this week, I resorted to spooning them into a cup with DE. Concetrating on about 1 sq ft area, I filled an 8 oz cup. And yesterday, I filled a 3oz Dixie cup. Ick.

I also dug up a lot of half eaten pea seeds as I scooped several huddled over seeds. Sad

I did remove the garden cover, hoping to keep the area less wet. I didn't see as many sow bugs this morning, but I didn't really look. I'll work on them tomorrow.

And last night, I saw a rather large groundhog who seems to have made his home at a nearby property. I saw evidence this morning of digging in my bed, why he didn't nibble on my lettuce nor spinach, I don't know. But I'm not feeling optimistic.

I think I understand about not putting in a "Failed Crop" flag. So if I "delete" carrots, will all records (like comments/notes) also get deleted? I guess I could select "Harvest" at ZERO quantity and tie in notes to the Harvest Date?

Thanks.

Post Failed Crop feature 
I should have put a smiley my comment that I wasn't going to add the feature. I was just kidding.
It is a godd idea and a feature that I will (unfortunatly) have to use from time to time.

My main challenge is to find the right way to add it to the software and make it useful and easy to understand.

Thanks,
Roy

Alas... Can I join the crew on this one? I lost all but 6 pea plants (out of over 70) to the rabbits over the space of 2 days, along with 5.5 out of 7 young cabbages. Maybe a suitably demonic & Pythonesque "just a cute little BUNNY" icon for the daily log, and a graying-out or fade feature for the crop on the vegetable manager (if that'd be feasible)? (I've currently logged both losses in my daily log with the 'bug' icon.)

I don't mind sharing, but apparently the fluffbuggers do.
*sigh*
I've never had such a yearning for rabbit stew.

-- Nora

Post Failed Crop/ color icon. 
I think I have my marching order and an idea of how I want to impliment this.
I will first add the icon in the Daily log since this is easier and won't effect much code.
Added a checkbox or radio box (select either harvested or failed) in the Plant info window isn't hard either.
I could just fade the plant, but that would be the same as the harvested crop, so my thought is to have three settings for failed crops in the layout.
One would be visible 100% maybe with red tinting
Two would be faded with a red tint
Three would be hidden completely so you could move on and replant in the area without the distraction of the seeing the failed crop.

Let me know if that would fit the requirement.

Post Re: Failed Crop implementation 
Thanks so much for your quick reply! What you've described sounds perfect. I can see how you'd want to avoid just graying a failed crop, if that's what happens to harvested ones. (I haven't gotten a first harvest yet, as I didn't plant any lettuce this year, so I still have to look forward hopefully to using that feature.)

I especially like the ideas of the red-tinted fade and the complete-hide. Right now I'm still holding out some hope for the last 6 lonely peas, but when the pumpkins and melons go in on those trellises it'll be nice not to have the ghosts of the other 62 or so peas haunting my Manage Vegetables screen.

That wascally wabbit!

Thanks again (and thanks for the fixes to the daily log -- it works great!),
-- Nora

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1