Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Wimpy spinach
Post Wimpy spinach 
We live in a cool climate and I've used organic fertilizer, worm castings/pee and compost in my spinach barrel -- but these are still so pathetic looking Crying or Very sad and taking forever to grow. Any suggestions? I don't want to drown the plant in too much nitrogen ... but how much is too much for spinach? Or should I just give up and stick with bok choi w/c grows like a weed in N. California coast? Thanks for any suggestions.

Giselle

Spinach_041407_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.01 KB
 Viewed:  15606 Time(s)

Spinach_041407_1.jpg

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Spinach 
I'm assuming its spinach, not New Zealand spinach. Spinach likes ample moisture and fertile well drained soil. It likes cool weather, it will bolt if grown under long hot summer days. Usually no extra fertilizer is needed, but if growth is slow or the color is light green, sidedress carefully with nitrogen. Also, the organic fertilizers tend to release nutrients slow, maybe too slow for the spinach. My suggestion is to try a little nitrogen and see if it helps. This looks to be in a container, so there may not be much nitrogen in the container (N leaches). Try a little N and see if it helps.

If its New Zealand Spinach (not a true spinach), its a hot weather crop, needing little care. The above does not apply.

Steve

Post Hans and Franz spinach 
Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. Well I gave it another month and guess what? The spinach doubled in size and is ready for picking! It is soooo sweet and I can't wait to harvest for dinner tonight. So for our area, the DTH would be about 75 days -- which is 30 days longer than when I normally harvest my lettuces and bok choi. Maybe I'm just impatient ... but now I know. Thanks also for the head's up on the N leaching problem.

The variety is "Tetona" and I'm pretty sure not NZ.

Wow! I took a look at your garden - that's quite a spread! How about sending some corn out here to the Bay Area Wink we'll have garlic to swap.

Giselle

Post Spinach 
Hi Giselle,

That's great to hear about harvesting your spinach already! We're hoping to be able to harvest some of our spinach this week.

I grow Bloomsdale Spinach and I tend to notice moderate growth when night temps are in the mid- to high-40s and then it grows like crazy when night temps are consistently over 50F. We finally saw night time temps in the high 50s this past week and my spinach nearly doubled in size just this week.

I picked up some Olympia Hybrid Spinach seeds while I was in Boston last week. As much as I like growing Bloomsdale over our harsh winters, I'm looking for a change from washing the crinkle leaves, this one looks like it has smooth leaves.

My Winter Bloomsdale Spinach in a 5 gallon container.

I do have more spinach growing in the bed to the left in the photo. I just have PVC hoops and a garden cover to help it along.

Post Wowee spinach! 
Great looking spinach, penguin! I'll look into your variety and see if it grows well here.

Incidentally, I noticed that our spinach does NOT have any chalky consistency to it (like supermarket) and I am simply delighted with how its taste. It IS amazing how quickly spinach can grow, once it decides to!

Re. "crinkliness" I usually use the biggest steel bowl and dump the spinach or lettuce leaves in there, swoosh it around a bit and then leave it for a while to allow soil to settle to the bottom.

Glad to hear your weather's warming up - finally!

Giselle

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1