Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
google maps and shared views
Post google maps and shared views 
Hi Roy,
Any chance of being able to link to location from shared view of gardens.
Check out http://maps.google.co.uk/help/maps/userguide/index.html
Google has really come up trumps on this one.
Go on you know it makes sense Laughing Laughing
Cheers

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Google maps and Plangarden 
I played with this a while back. But I was hoping by the end of the week to have a version on-line.
In what I am working on you will get to see al the shared gardens within x miles of you via default.
Also I think I can use it to get Long and Latitude coordinates for people around the world.

Post Google Maps, Earth 
Hi I find these both have a too large/long a learning curve. I've spent hours trying to decipher the instructions and it only gets worse. I am a 68 yr old man, trying to figure out PC's and along comes Google maps, etc. The original search engine was simple. Type in the word or phrase, etc. and up comes options. Now, I try to zoom or move around and the map gets unreadable. Google Earth is supposed to show streets, etc. and all I get is a flat, two dimensional picture. And the satellite photos are so old they don't show recent construction of new highways. Now - IS this me? Or are any others having these problems. Cool

Post Shared Garden Map 
Hi Pennsynut,

Don't know if your comment referred to Google Maps and Google Earth or the Shared Garden feature that uses the Google mapping engine.

If your question or comment has to do with Plangarden's Shared Garden feature, then click on the "Shared Gardens" link on the top navigation bar of the home page or just go here: http://plangarden.com/share/ and you should be able to see gardens within 500 miles of the location that you typed in the box. The purpose is to see who's growing what in which location and communicate with that user via the forum's email function - if you wish. For instance, one user saw that I was growing pineapple guava and contacted me to get more info on the fruit (growing requirements, what I thought of the taste).

Now some users are still playing around with Plangarden and the "quality" of some of these Shared Gardens can be questionable but don't give up. There are lots of impressive gardens out there and gardeners are a generous, informative group. Roy and I continue to learn from our users who have shown us interesting ways to use the application! One of my todos is to add a link in the home page which "showcases" some Shared Gardens (with users' permission, of course) to give people ideas on what people are growing and some of the creative ways to use the program.

If your question had nothing to do with Plangarden's Shared Garden feature but was more of a Google comment, then I might agree that the explosion of new services especially over the last 3 years can be pretty daunting for some of us, regardless of age.

I find that Google Maps does a pretty good job in locating places and estimating driving distances and has easy-to-read 2-dimensional maps with the zoom feature that allows you to see nearby towns/cities. I'm planning a trip to the Grand Canyon and I love how the distance estimator helps plan lodgings and day trips.

Google Earth, on the other hand, is more of a fun tool that does a pretty good job in helping locate landmarks rather than give directions. Roy used it to locate some hiking trails near our place (we don't have lots of trees) and was successful in finding them. I'm not sure how often they update the satellite pics ... I noticed that the new hotel under construction nearby does not appear on Google Earth -- so the photos have to be at least over a year old.

Well this is a long response but I hope that some of it is useful Very Happy Let me know if there may be something else we can help you with.

Regards,
Giselle

Post Google Maps, Google Earth 
Thanks Giselle. I was referring to the Google sites, not Plan Garden. I live in the country, and the Google Earth of my property is ancient. The satellite view is ancient. I moved here in 1990, and as far as I can tell, the Google Earth satellite view is approx. 1996. This is 2007! Are they saying that the picture taking airplanes or whatever have not been over here in 11 years? Even if they were 2 years old is unacceptable. My point is that if I were to give the URL,coordinates,or lat/long to find the picture of my property, you would never be able to see the garden or even if there are trees on my property. The photos are terrible. And when you try to use G.E to see a 3 dimensional view, it simply goes flat. Yuk! As for Plan Garden - isn't what you refer to just a link to G.E or G.M???? And if so, what good would it be for you to see what I'm doing? I just joined Plangarden, so haven't checked this out yet. Maybe I'll see what you/Giselle have and comment later.

Post Shared Gardens 
Hi Pennsynut,

Ahhh, now I understand. First of all, Shared Gardens does not "link" to GM or GE. We use the engine to help Plangarden users locate other Plangarden users who have chosen to share their virtual garden views within 500 miles of a given location. Have you ever clicked on the "ladybugs" that appear on the Shared Garden map? Those ladybugs are placemarkers of Plangarden users who have chosen to share their Plangarden virtual gardens with the public.

A ladybug will link to a URL that will LAUNCH the Plangarden application and allow you to see and play around (without the ability to save your changes and permanently 'damage' someone else's Plangarden layout or database) that user's virtual garden. It is NOT a snapshot of people's backyard gardens taken from a satellite view (though that would also be very cool ... though a potentially serious privacy issue, don't you think?)

As I said earlier, it's a way to let Plangarden users "see" other people's >Plangarden garden plans< as in a community of gardeners who wish to exchange gardening experiences.

Also in GE you will not get a true 3-D view when you start rotating the sat pics which is taken from a bird's eye view. That's a more advanced technology that I'm not sure is available to the general public - but I may be wrong.

Cheers,
Giselle

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1