Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Pineapple Guava
Post Pineapple Guava 
Hi to you pineapple guava growers (like Giselle!) Smile

My parents grew regular guava in their garden while I was growing up (in Zone 9). I never paid much attention at the time. What are some of your favorite sources for pineapple guava plants? If I were to find the fruit (organic) and saved seeds, how hard would the be to germinate? I've found coffee beans and rosemary rather challenging to germinate from seed. Actually, I have never been successful germinating coffee seeds.

I'm in zone 6, but am growing dwarf banana and citrus trees in containers. I protect over winter. I'd want to do the same with the PG.

Thanks!

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Pineapple Guava and Meyer lemons 
Happy to share our experience w/ pineapple guava. We live in the Bay Area where this plant is a common, low maintenance bush. Never grew it from seed -- in fact, I'd have to see if the large seed companies carry this at all -- as our local nurseries usually have a few plants in inventory. PG is tart and does have pineapple 'notes'. Consuming 1 or 2 fruit is just about all my palate can handle at one time (it's not bad but just a little weird). I'll be happy to send you a bunch this Sept. when they're ripe and maybe you can figure out how to save the seeds.

PG grows large -- up to 10 feet high and 6 ft wide. In the 4 years we've had them, they've grown about 1+ foot/yr - and in lousy, clay soil. If you have them in containers, it might limit their growth. They started bearing good fruit only 2 yrs after we put them in. Our varieties are "Coolidge" and "Trask" as it was suggested to have 2 kinds for better pollination results.

As for coffee beans, I leave that to our neighbors in the tropics Cool Rosemary grows like a weed out here (and is currently blossoming!) - didn't raise from seed either because it serves both as herb and ornamental bush - so we got the baby bush!

Let me know how your dwarf banana fares this year. We're also growing a dwarf Meyer lemon tree and found an interesting passage here: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/Citrus/lemons.htm noting it is not a 'true' lemon!

Ciao! Giselle

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1