Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Hi
Post Hi 
I just stumbled across this site this evening and just started playing with my account. I'm having a hard time figuring a couple of things out so I apologize if the answer is obvious and I haven't come across it...but if that's not the case, then I'm suggesting a couple of items. Very Happy

I primarily have 2 beds, 3'x4' each. Currently, I'm growing garlic in them. I am trying to make my plan for when I pull out the garlic come April-June. But it seems the way to plan my next garden cycle, I make another set of plots? This is potentially going to be interesting when growing season hits my zone and the containers pop up.

Another item, because I have chosen to plant for variety, I typically will have 1-2 of a particular variety, but may grow 6-12 different varieties of something. Like my garlic, I'm growing at least 12 different varieties. I got tired of creating a veggie icon and then naming it. Maybe a way to enter veggie data into some sort of spreadsheet?

I'm now at a point that whenever I add a new veggie, the icon pops up beyond my screen area. I have to move the entire plot around to find it then move it. Can I set a specific location for icons to show up?

All in all, an impressive web tool! I'm a geek gardener myself and am very excited to come across this tool!

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Hiding harvested items. 
I have lots of garlic too. When I harvest it, I will simply click on the "Harvested/Removed" in the plant info window and under "Options -> Manage Vegetables -> Harvest Visibility" and select "Hide". That will clear the area and the next crop can go in the same area. If I want to see what was planted there later I will set the option to Dim and see the all the vegetables planted in the same area during the same year.

For getting new vegetable varieties, I don't know if this will help you are not, but I am finishing up a new plant selector that will have around 3000 varieties of vegetables and you will be able to customize it. Let me know if you thinkg that will help you. With that you can create as the the icons and select the varieties that you plant from a customized pull-down list and it should go a lot faster.

As far as the new veggie showing up off screen: this used to work better before I added the large plot size and zooming. This will be fixed in a future release. Currently I plan to have vegetables show up next to the "Veg Selector" window so they are easy to find once created.

Thanks for all the good feedback.

Thanks for that rapid response!

Looks like I have some more tools/features to try. Very Happy

Looking forward.
PenguinGardener

Post blackberries 
Hi,

I just planted some blackberry canes yesterday and I notice that's not available in the selector tool. Shall I wait for your new plant selector (data) or use raspberries and enter blackberries as the variety? They're in the same family at least. Smile

Thanks!
penguingardener

Yes, please use the raspberry icon for the moment and relabel. That's what most of us are doing until Roy implements that great functionality of being able to either select from a wider menu of icons or enter one yourself (still waiting... still waiting ... Rolling Eyes ) I for one, am very excited about this, though in retrospect it's really more "eye candy" than anything else because while it looks good on a virtual garden, it tastes even better in real life! Thanks for understanding and stay tuned Wink - Giselle

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1