Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
When to plant pumpkins...
Post When to plant pumpkins... 
Hi all.

My gf takes Halloween very seriously. So this year, instead of blowing a ton of money on pumpkins, I am going to try to grow her pumpkins instead. I have a question.

We want the pumpkins for Halloween. Big is good. Bigger is better. Most of the pumpkin seed packs seem to say that they are mature in 110 to 120 days. I am planning on growing a couple of Big Maxs and a bunch of Howden Biggies. A couple of Luminas for interest as well. Here in Denver we have to watch for frost and snow in October, so I would think I will probably have to haul the pumpkins to the garage around the middle of October.

So, do I want to plant the seeds around June 15th, 120 days before the middle of October? Or will the pumpkins continue growing and living on the vines after the 110 to 120 days? I would plant them now but I am concerned that the pumpkins would ripen and rot in September! Is that the way it works?

Any ideas on ways to preserve pumpkins longer off the vine are much appreciated as well!!

Thanks!

Darin

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Pumpkin planting 
Growing massive pumpkin falls somewhere between science, art and religion.

You will need good soil, good watering and LOTS of space. One giant pumpkin can take up 200ft of garden space or more if you let it. The sun getting to large leaves provides the energy to grow the giant.

One item that stops pumpkins from growing is the outer crust getting hard. This happens late in the development cycle and people have developed ways to delay this to get bigger pumpkins.

The hard skin on the pumpkin is what allows it to be stored for prolonged periods of time without rotting. As long as the pumpkin doesn't sit in wet soil or get a ton or water as it hardens and then cracks, you will be fine store your monster for even weeks (you loose a little weight because of water will start to leave the pumpkin.)

The 120 days on the seed package is average time given good growning conditions (soil temps, air temps, water, nutrients and sunlight.) Use Plangarden to help time the planting and adjust + or - a week according to any late frost or if you think the cold weather is over.

Pumpkins are bit sensitive to water logged roots. Roots need air to survive. Pumpkins have somewhat shallow roots and don't want them to sit in water.

I grew a 100lb pumpkin one year. It was fun, but I didn't have ideal growing conditions and to took up too much of my garden that I would have used for more edible veggies.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1