Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Best all around manure
Post Best all around manure 
Hi folks,

After a 20 year hiatus, I am starting to get back into gardening. I now live in central NC, but used to garden when I lived in NH years ago. I used to raise veggies in raised beds and am planning to build new beds in my new home.

The soil here is red clay and damp, so my strategy is to build the raised beds and fill them with good soil and compost materials.

I will be planting tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and some melons and squash, along with some onions and herbs interspersed throughout. I have always done a square foot, intensive gardening approach.

My question is, what manure would be the best overall manure to use, considering I will be using top soil in my raised beds? I've heard that horse manure often contains undigested grass seed and will create weed issues.

I don't want to burn the roots, but I do want to fortify the soil.

Thoughts?

Question

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Using manure as compost 
You are right that house manure can add some weeding work to your garden as some grass and other seeds are undigested.

But the bigger issue that brings up is that you will want to compost most manures for several months before using in your garden. The composting process can either bind up nutrients, like in horse manure. Or in the case of chicken manure the ammonia that it gives off while composting can burn plants (I saw this happen as a kid after cleaning out the chicken house and placing directly in garden.)

If you don't have time, you might have to buy aged manure while any you collect is composting and getting ready for the garden.

I probably will go with an aged manure, or ask a farmer down the road if I can grab some cow patties from his pasture, which are aged somewhat.

Post Rabbit manure 
How does Rabbit manure and hardwood pellets work out in terms of usefulness for veggie gardens? I have a bunny who eats a lot of timothy hay, and I use the hardwood pellets for bedding, so I've been making a pile in the yard. I didnt realize the importance of aging until your post. How long should it age before being useful?

Post Compost happens 
Manures can compost in months or up to a year.
Rabbit pellets are not a hot-compost, so they will not damage plants it used too early.
But to compost nicely and be more useful to the plants I would try to give them 6-12 months of time to breakdown. Keep a pile moist and if you get worms working it, it could be ready sooner.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1