Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Composting - Am I doing it wrong?
Post Composting - Am I doing it wrong? 
I'm trying to start a compost pile, and i'd like it to be a "hot" compost pile. I ordered a compost thermometr, and my pile is only at 85 degees. I started the pile about 6 weeks ago

I've turned it a couple times a week and keep adding water to it, it doesn't seem overly wet.

Any ideas on what I can do? My pile is only maybe 8-12" thick, and is composed mostly of leaves that fell from a tree but i add all my scraps to the pile.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message Plangarden Blogs
Post Some like it hot ... 
To get smoking hot compost you need the right mixture of browns and greens.
Leaves are browns. Grass clippings, manure are greens. In order for greens to heat up your like they have to be fine enough to mix with your browns. (That is why grass clippings are great to generate heat.

When they say your compost pile should be damp, it means just that. If you can grab it and squeeze water out of it, it is too wet. While too dry will slow composting, most people error on the side of adding too much water.

The final thing is size. I have noticed that unless my pile is mostly greens, I need 1/2 to 2/3 a cubic yard to get much heat. That is 3ft by 3ft by 18 - 24 inches high. Getting a full cubic yard is best.

It takes time to get your compost mojo going. Time practice and watching what goes into your compost and observing the results.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message Plangarden Blogs

Has anyone put Green tea leaves in their compose? I dry the leaves and place in a bag.

I remember reading some where that a certain plant loves green tea leaves.

Thanks in advance,
Jennifer Confused

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Green tea leaves in compost 
Yes Green tea leaves are great in compost the break down fast, worm and plants love them.

I put tea bag and all in my compost. It ends up being a small part of my compost and the only non-compostable item is the staple.

Post Earth Worms in Compost 
I have had a slow going compost pile for quite some time. It was not a big issue because I have not had a big need for the finished product until now. The pile is now partially composted and full of earthworms. I just transferred it to a tumbling composer (it used to be just a pile) to speed it up and finish it up so I can add it to my veggie garden.
I am a little confused about earthworms. I know they are beneficial to have in your garden and it is a sign of healthy soil (i think). However, if your compost pile is supposed to heat up to 160 degrees, can earthworms survive that? Don't we want earthworms in our finished compost to transfer to the garden?

Post compost bins 
hi all
im new to doing the foodie garden and i have just got 2 compostbins one for kitchen like pealings and egg shells (anything elce is there i could put in here)and the other for leaves and grass cuttings i was wondering what elce i could put in this one and also if i could use some leaves from somewere like a large tree area this year if there is any left on the ground to get things started and could i use other peoples grass cutting when they do there first cut o the year as i dont have any lawns
also sorry about all the Qs but are the bins ok in the shade as my garden is small and the shade is the only place im not planting it dose get warm there though during the summer month plz let me know and if u have any other helpfull hints i would love to take on ur advice
happy planting
sara

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1