Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Large Square Foot Garden last year 2009
Walking onions placed in spot 5 years ago still giving baby onions to plant and eat also have walking garlic

walking onion.JPG
 Description:
plant onions never move or eat then babys on top plant and eat
 Filesize:  164.44 KB
 Viewed:  15003 Time(s)

walking onion.JPG

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Very cool! 
A Potato Bag! Ingenius! I am going to try the potato bag row next year... I can't wait. Thanks for sharing. Smile

Ray Rice Jersey,Miles Austin Jersey

Post lettuce 4x4 square 
Last day of harvest of lettuce was 11-16-2010.
had to clean off 1/2 foot of snow I think its time to let it die and plan next year garden.
dumped potato bags and got the last of the dry beans out 11-20-2010
I live in MN zone 4b

lettuce2010.JPG
 Description:
pic taken on 10-27-2010
 Filesize:  154.46 KB
 Viewed:  14729 Time(s)

lettuce2010.JPG

What an amazing set up. I would love to see some pictures of 2011 this year you guys....I am inspired by this size as I am trying to do the same thing and my husband thinks I am nuts....I showed him your layout Very Happy It is so organized and thought out. I was wondering if you could explain the picture with the lettuce a little bit...the soil...etc...I have only been gardening a few years and I haven't seen that before with the holes cut in etc....did you do it or do you buy it that way?
Thanks for sharing....post some new pictures if you get a chance Smile Have a great season!!

the dirt is from our land with 1/3 peat added and 1/3 vermiculite added the black frabric is garden 15 year sell most stores with garden areas the white mulch i got from a catalog (I thought I was buying frabric when it got here was a black on one side white on other side all plastic not happy but it worked and I saved for next year and i think i can get a few more years out of it ) the holes i cut in with a sharp small knife. then plant seeds. look up square foot garden or go to bookstore will show how to space plants (I do not always follow rules) my hubby does not help with garden its just me planning, starting indoors, laying out the bricks and mixing dirt, buying seeds, buying frabric, and lay it down, planting all seeds and if a weed does come up weed, water, middle of night out side with black light to catch bugs, harvest and store food can frezze and dry and clean up garden for next year, hubby will pick and eat and mow around squares. and last week he picked strawberrys and I think ate more then he picked. he did make me a compost spot and he did say i can have a large garden and in jan he did look at a seed catalog and asked about spaghetti squash and if he talks to anyone its his garden But I LOVE HIM so i have to laugh at that.

Mottistone.jpg
 Description:
close up of lettuce 6/24/11
 Filesize:  141.85 KB
 Viewed:  14072 Time(s)

Mottistone.jpg

last years 2010 pumpkin watermellon and cantaloupe up fence

fence.jpg
 Description:
year 2010
 Filesize:  158.53 KB
 Viewed:  14071 Time(s)

fence.jpg

this year most things are still small did not plant untill later so pic of garden will come later but lettuce and strawberrys and other early things picked but no pic sorry. and yes I see the small green weeds next to my lettuce, I will get them on a windy day so the bugs do not get me. I hate bugs I like the good bugs as long as they do not bite me.

Outredgeous.jpg
 Description:
2011 lettuce
 Filesize:  117.84 KB
 Viewed:  14070 Time(s)

Outredgeous.jpg

Post new pic 
green beans 2011 growing on fence spaced 1 1/2 foot apart.

green beans 2011.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.78 KB
 Viewed:  13257 Time(s)

green beans 2011.jpg

Post pic 
purple beans are easier to find to pick and when cooked turn green when done (if you have kids that do not like beans show them some magic when you put in pot purple and come out green. pic 2011

purple beans 2011.jpg
 Description:
light green leaf is the christmas lima that got out of hand
 Filesize:  175.45 KB
 Viewed:  13256 Time(s)

purple beans 2011.jpg

Post pic 2011 
peppers merlot, mavras in back cubanelle lower right cal wonder other green ones
mn. midget on left lower side. cut up melon at moms house and went to car to get camera time I got back aunt and mom ate 1 1/2 melons and only had what is in pic left. so next year grab camera first.

pepper and melon.jpg
 Description:
size look at teaspoon on right side. All Organic grown
 Filesize:  100 KB
 Viewed:  13255 Time(s)

pepper and melon.jpg

Post spoon 
spoon tomato full taste in small size sprinkle on salad mmmmmm. warning plant likes to spread and only plant one or 2 seeds one plant will give about 1000 at a time untill frost. pain to pick unless you bring chair and shade (take long time to pick a pound off plant ) get about 1lb a week. On sep 17 had hard frost down to 27`F glad killed that plant not others wanted more tomatos. (glad did not have to pick any more)

spoon 2011.jpg
 Description:
normal size 10 to teaspoon (on dime) mine got some bigger next to quarter
 Filesize:  52.8 KB
 Viewed:  13254 Time(s)

spoon 2011.jpg

Post Great posts! 
Thanks for your posts on the veggies. We also get lots of little toms and they're really best eaten like grapes - grazing in garden while putzing around.

We also only plant purple string beans for the very reason that they're easy to spot and are cooked to perfection when they turn green in the steamer!

That red lettuce is beautiful! Our winter lettuce, chard, kale, and spinach are in the greenhouse and will soon be transplanted, thanks to this weird CA weather. Way too warm and too dry Sad Hope it won't be a drought year ...

Post last year harvest 
Tomatos smallest are spoon, med reds are cherry and red grape sugar plums, yellow med are lolli pop lemon, large red is mortgage lifter, yellow large maniel.
purple and green beans bottom left. cuke green marketmore yellow round top middle is a lemon cuke, next to that one on right the red cuke.
yellow on top left is Zucchini the big green cuke was still sweet did not have any bitter ones that year.

harvest.jpg
 Description:
Tomatos greenbeans cukes and zucchini
 Filesize:  117.51 KB
 Viewed:  12761 Time(s)

harvest.jpg

Post fence 
here are some pic of the fences with vines growing on them.

fence cantaloupe1.jpg
 Description:
Cantaloupe in front pumpkins and watermelon in back.
 Filesize:  42.62 KB
 Viewed:  11998 Time(s)

fence cantaloupe1.jpg

Reply to gardening topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next