Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Brussel Sprouts
Post Brussel Sprouts 
I planted brussel sprouts last year around mid-late June I suppose and they never gave me a crop. They lasted through winter and really took off in spring this year. Now they have yellow blooms all over the tops of them. I have never grown brussels before. Are these going to give me a crop of baby cabbages? I guess what I am asking is what it the life cycle of brussels? Where do the baby cabbages appear and at what time? I would like to remove these from my plot to put my onion sets in, but if they are going to produce I'll leave them. Anyone have some experience with brussels care to share a little info? Thanks.

Ronnie

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post End of the sprouts 
I think that is the end of them and you won't get any more.
If you have had some warm weather then that sounds like the bolting stage where the plant has weathered the winter and is now ready to produce seeds and not sprouts.

Just remember that onions are sensitive to number of day light hours and you want to have the ones that are right for your region and make sure they have time to develope and then bulb up.

I have never had Brussel Sprouts bolt on me yet, but I have cool weather that makes them less likely to bolt. Although I have watched salad, spinach and parsely bolt.

Later,
Roy

Ugh! I was afraid of that. I never got one brussel sprou toff the plants. I guess I might as well dig them up and get my onions planted. I have bought sets at a local store. Guess I better get them in th eground then! Thanks for the info Roy.

Ronnie

Post brussels in cool weather 
Brussel Sprouts work in cool weather only. They should be one of the first items planted in the spring and one of the last planted in the fall.

http://blog.gardenharvestsupply.com/2008/10/18/how-to-harvest-brussels-sprouts/

Post Brussels Spouts and bugs 
I have the added problem that there is a field where there are grown in the fall. If I match the timing of the commercial field, then I have to watch extra close for cabbage worms.

Last year we had an extra warm fall and between the two I got robbed for Brussels Sprouts. Sad

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1