Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Dear Santa Roy
Post Dear Santa Roy 
I would like better support for perennials. For instance, after the first year, it is no longer relevant for me to have the harvest of rhubarb or strawberry calculated as a number of days after planting, rather I need to enter a time period where this plant yields its harvest. Also, in the case of strawberries, it would be nice to be able to track generations so I know when to retire the older plants. Right now, the only way to do this is to say that a square of runners where planted on a certain date during the summer, but then the harvest dates make no sense anymore. Since strawberries can be started either from seed or from runner, they should be calculated accordingly.

I really need a fix for the problem with international characters. I often forget that I can't use , , , , , etc., and it causes all kinds of problems. And the journal is completely useless to me because of this.

How about an option on the harvest tab to show half a year but split in spring and fall? Right now, I can only choose between the first and second half of the year, as well as individual quarters, but most often I want to see the prime gardening season, so maybe april-september and october-march?

I would like the option "seeds" to be added to the list of options when choosing amount planted (the list that contains package, plants, bulbs/sets etc). I'm a square foot gardener, so I often sow single seeds.

A note field would be a great addition to the plant information window. I would log all sorts of information, for instance first blossom on a specific plant. That's too specific to go in the journal, and I would like to see it when I click on a plant.

Would it be possible to get more plant icons (different colours and shapes), or even to upload one's own images?

There's an error in the SFG spacing for lettuce: both head and leaf lettuce have a spacing of 4 plants per square foot, but it should only be 1 for head lettuce. Celeriac should be 1, not 4. Also, is 1/sqft default for any plants that may not be suitable for SFG? I scanned through the list and saw that lemon and rhubarb were listed as 1, and that doesn't seem to make sense.

Finally a bug (I think): If I enter a date in the Start Indoors field by mistake, it is impossible to remove it later.

I enjoy using Plangarden, and I'm looking forward to the new version.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
To keep track of my harvest for Fruits I go to latout and text next to plant
(planted 2010 harvest early sep) see fruit trees on my garden then I did the math for days harvest to get right time in harvest tab. and I use SFG and use the plants for seed so know how many will fit (still have to change all layout to SFG still have 1foot rows in squares) nice lay out by the way.

Post Dear Virginia (old reference that some may not get) 
Because we are between version and there are some old nagging issues that I want to clean up, I am looking at internationalization now and seeing if I can get that working once and for all. Either strip out the characters or better yet handle from Flash to web to database.

I am with you on the harvest tab. We want to add months and if we get to that point adding ranges should be easy.

For start indoors you should be able to highlight the text and delete it. If not, let me know the sequence of events that gets you to the point where you can't delete it and I will look at that.

I will look at fixing the errors for the SFG and spacing and will constantly gather and tweak these.

I will tag this as we have other features we are working on. Some of these can be added sooner, some will be postponed so we can add some really exciting features.

Thanks and keep the wish lists coming. This year we are back on track to add more features than we have been able to for a few years.

Post International characters fixed 
Looks like one item on your list is fixed.
Tested this AM with degrees and all the characters in your post.
They are included and not stripped out.

Roy

Post Happy dance! 
Seing that the international characters problem will be fixed just made my day. Being able to journal in Plangarden instead of separate text files will be so much easier.

My problem with accidentally adding a date for starting seeds inside goes like this:
    Create a plant
    Enter a date for starting indoors
    Select another plant
    Go back to your new plant and delete the date
    Select another plant again
    Go back to your new plant, and the date will have reappered

Granted, I don't often need to completely delete a date, and it certainly isn't the most important thing for me to get fixed (I just delete the plant and make a new one), but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Post Date bug 
I think I fixed the date bug too.
It needs some more testing and you need to wait until 3.55 is released, but that wont be too long.
Now off to fix some more bugs and make a few minor enhancements.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1