Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Is there a timeline (past and future)?
Post Is there a timeline (past and future)? 
Just came across this amazing application! I'm both a programmer (HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, learning Jquery) and a gardener who (along with a coworker) offers a CSA service for people at work. With this being our second year offering the CSA, I was hoping to come up with better timeline planning for when things will be going in/coming out of the garden. I realize that's all very flexible, considering how Mother Nature works, but it'll at least help.

So I was considering drawing up a grid of the garden's content for each week of the season - blah, plus I'll have to figure out how long til first harvest PLUS how long is the estimated total harvest period for each veggie. That's not gonna be fun.

Thought about trying to take on a programming project in my free time to do this myself, but that's A LOT of work...and then I found plangarden.com!

I'm testing out the features now and it's seriously powerful! All kinds of garden issues/concerned have been taken into consideration.

But what I'm wondering is if anyone's suggested a way to view a timeline of the same garden space throughout the season. I see that I can have something (say peas) in the garden in the spring, and then when they're harvested I can dim them, and then I would plant something else in their place...(so I would assume I'd just hide the peas from view, and then plant something else in that space instead?).

I see I can view all the veggies and their planting/harvest times, and I haven't played around with this part a lot yet, but I'm wondering - is there something like "fill this alotted space with veggie x. See it's got 30 days til first harvest. See the estimated harvest period is 2 wks. THEN I remove it from that space and already have veggie y planned to go in that exact space afterwards. Oh, and it's got 3 months til first harvest, will be harvestable until roughly such-and-such date, get's removed, and then maybe even veggie Z goes in for a fall crop." So that maybe you'd see all this on one line stretched across the screen, maybe April through November, and you can see veggies x, y and z along that one plot line, with each of their start and end dates?

I know that's a lot to ask if it's not already in place. Just wondering if there's any suggested tricks to pull this off using this tool.

Thanks for all the time and effort you've put into it!

Jeph Remley

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Ok, I guess to clarify this...what I'm asking is if there's a way to show the Harvest page details (with display of Plant Date and Harvest Est turned on), only to stack some of those veggies side-by-side? Hope that's more clear...

Post Garden Timelines. 
I have worked out a plan for a timeline type feature. It is in the future, but I know how I want it done. We are getting ready to release some new features and then will re prioritize items after that.
It is a good idea and we have been approached about this before and have a solution worked out.

Thanks,
Roy

Sounds great! I saw that there was an option to use a beta version, but it seems like that's not really relevant right now - with the production version being as current as the beta I believe? I'd totally be interested in testing future beta features if you're looking for testers.

This tool is great for the middle of winter when we're snowed/iced in (like yesterday and today) and are dreaming of playing out in the dirt, surrounded by green growies. Thanks again!

Post Beta versions of Plangarden 
We don't often release beta versions of Plangarden.
The best way to find out about beta versions is by following us on Twitter.
If there is a beta version, it will be at plangarden.com/app/beta.php

I can see the advantages of some type of timeline. I was trying to remember the precise date when it snowed in April (on the first day of the english cricket season) and the year when we had a very late frot. I knew I'd logged both, but I had to load each year and read through the log to find the dates.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1