Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Zone 9 - trouble getting a straight answer
Post Zone 9 - trouble getting a straight answer 
Hi all,

I am looking for a the answer to a couple of questions.
No matter what web site I look at, on will say it is ok for me to plant corn in sept, and then other say no. One will say I can not order artichokes for planting until feb. and then another will tell me that I should plant them in the fall for them to take root for the spring.

This is my VERY first garden. And I do not want to screw it up as these vegies are going to be for resale at the farmers market. Any help would be GREATLY appriciated.

Thank you so much friends!!
Jana

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Gardening by region 
In much of the midwest you can do gardening by knowing your frost date and working forward and backward from that. Most seed packages are geared toward frost dates.
Coastal and gardening and desert gardening have frost dates that don't make sense in the regards to planting 2 weeks before frost etc.

If you are in the Central Valley in California, I would suggest this book. Northern California Gardening: A Month-by-Month Guide; Updated, 2nd Edition It seems to be a well like book on Amazon. I also have seen good charts by UC Davis. If you need them let me know and I will look them up.

Planting Corn in Sept?? Unless you are in the southern hemisphere, I don't think that is a good idea.
Artichokes have different times depending on if you are starting from seeds, root stock or plants.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1