Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Zone 9 - Coldframe from a broken shower
Post Zone 9 - Coldframe from a broken shower 
Living on the California coast has the advantage of being able to garden most of the year, but the disadvantage of cold and fog that most tomatoes and green pepper hate.

I had a few years of failed attempts of growing tomatoes including the year I tried to grow them on the roof, just to get them a couple more hours of cloud-shine (There is little sunshine in the summer). Then in a bizarre twist of fate I was cleaning the grout in the shower and through a freak accident that defies all logic and common sense Embarassed , I had the shower glass explode showering glass onto me while I froze in disbelief. One wall of the shower was gone and I was left with the glass door. Just before I threw it out my wife said, "Why don't you use it to build a coldframe."

A few scraps of 2x4s, a couple of parts of 1/2 inch plywood and I had to buy just a few items. One was to get polycarbonate panel 4x8 ft. It has a honeycomb design so it ends up being a 1/2 inch thick. It was about $80. The most important feature is that it doesn't have UV blockers which much of the Plexiglas has to prevent destroying it or what is behind it. For a coldframe blocking UV is BAD. The other item I purchase was a hydraulic cylinder that opens the coldframe if it gets too hot inside. This ended up being critical even in the summer fog - about $40. A 3 inch hole in the bottom side to pull in cool air and aluminum foil on the back wall and I had a coldframe.

Now I have tomatoes and bell peppers and basil in the summer and lettuce in the winter with few bugs other than an occasion attack of aphids.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Can you post a photo of this shower door cold frame? I'd love to see what you are describing...

Post i like 
Living on the California coast has the advantage of being able to garden most of the year, but the disadvantage of cold and fog that most tomatoes and green pepper hate.

I had a few years of failed attempts of growing tomatoes including the year I tried to grow them on the roof, just to get them a couple more hours of cloud-shine (There is little sunshine in the summer). Then in a bizarre twist of fate I was cleaning the grout in the shower and through a freak accident that defies all logic and

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1