Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Mushrooms
Post Mushrooms 
While we don't yet have mushrooms in Plangarden, here are some Shitake mushroom blocks that we picked up last weekend from the Santa Cruz Mushroom festival.

These are 10 day old mushrooms. The second photo shows the underside. When it is at the peak of perfection when the cottony viel underneath opens up. That should only be a day or two away.

Mushrooms 002.JPG
 Description:
Shitake mushroom underside. Not yet open.
 Filesize:  310.01 KB
 Viewed:  13192 Time(s)

Mushrooms 002.JPG

Mushrooms 001.JPG
 Description:
Shitake mushrooms grown from block.
 Filesize:  343.87 KB
 Viewed:  13192 Time(s)

Mushrooms 001.JPG

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Nice shroom's 
I guest you bought them at the festival as a starter block to grow at home? are they easy to grow and do they need any special care?

Post Start block quick off the start block 
They came as blocks wrapped in the plastic that you see in the pictures. They were infused with the mycelium and ready to go.
I didn't take a picture when we got them, but they already were covered with the white and brown fungus around and little nubs that were about 1/2 inch to a 1 round. Those nubs are what are turning into mushrooms today.

They sit in my garage and only get filtered sun when the garage door is open. The temperature in the garage is around 45-55 degrees.
The only care they receive is a slight misting of water once or twice a day.

Since I am starting seedlings now, I have a water bottle for misting already set up.

Also I got the wooden dowel plugs. I soaked some wood in water for a few days, drilled a whole in the wood and set them in the shade. It is our rainy season and we have been getting rain all week and will for most of the next 10 days. I have no idea if they will take or not. The wood I started with was Birch that came from a tree that was shading part of my garden and sending roots up to rob nutrients. It is funny that now the tree could be part of the garden used to grow mushroooms.

Post So 3 years later.... 
Do you still grow shitake mushrooms? Did it invite a bunch of pests? Any tips?

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1