Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Broccoli Grub
Post Broccoli Grub 
Hi Roy,

You mentioned in a thread on the Enhancements Forum about a grub gnawing away at your broccoli roots. Um, could I get more information from you about that?

My broccoli this year doesn't seem to be growing like it did last year, although I am growing DeCicco instead of Waltham this time. At least I have the Fall growing season to try again.

Sorry you lost a couple of broccoli plants. It's so disheartening to lose plants.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Broccoli Grub 
I will try to get you a picture or scan what I think it is later this week. I have looked it up before and thought I had an ID on the pest, but I am not 100% sure.
The ones I think it could be: Seedcorn maggot, bean seed magot or cabbage maggot.
Right now the 4 broccoli that are in the same area are not showing signs of damage. I know that sometime that you can have a few and the plant will survive and produce. But too many when the plant is too young make the leaves wither suddenly and when you grab the stem it seems weak at the root.

Thanks,
Roy

Post Brocolli bugs close-up 
View with care. It is pretty ugly what these guys can do to a broccoli plant
I figures that these guys were around since I already lost two Brocolli and there is another one that is hanging on.
The plant looked fine, just a little behind the others until today when it flopped overs. We had a bit of wind yesterday.
A gentle pull and it was out of the soild.

Brocolli_bugs 001.jpg
 Description:
There were a dozen or so the these guys in and around the roots. This pic was taken right after the veggy was plucked from the garden.
 Filesize:  18.5 KB
 Viewed:  25902 Time(s)

Brocolli_bugs 001.jpg

Brocolli_bugs 005.jpg
 Description:
I washed off all the dirt from the roots. This plant was a good 1 foot high, yet this is all the root structure. Even after washing there where grubs between roots.
 Filesize:  21.91 KB

Brocolli_bugs 005.jpg

Brocolli_bugs 004.jpg
 Description:
A little blury, but is shows a close-up of the head little guy and his size.
 Filesize:  44.28 KB

Brocolli_bugs 004.jpg

Wow. Thanks for the pix. I wasn't aware of those beasties. I may be about to give up on broccoli for this season. My one DeCicco is barely progressing.

Post broccoli 
Does broccoli grow well in central/eastern europe? I'm not sure if I've ever seen it in the local supermarkets here. I don't think I'd like broccoli salad (due to the typical cream / sweetener / etc), but by itself, it's pretty tasty and supposedly nutritious.

Post Broccoli 
Broccoli is a cool weather plant. It can not grow in the hot summer in many places, but does well as a fall or spring crop.
I am not familiar with your climate and when to plant, but you can use "Know when to Plant" and enter your last know frost date to get an idea when it would be good for you.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1