Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Help! The neighborhood cats are driving me crazy!
Post Help! The neighborhood cats are driving me crazy! 
I have a 4x4 square foot garden box that the cats LOVE to visit. Unfortunately, this means I can't eat anything that is grown in that box. (Cat pee & poop don't work well with veggies!)

Does anyone have a good way of keeping cats out of your beds?
I like cats, just not in my vegetable garden Sad

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Electric fence. I have to run one anyway to keep out deer, and a lower strand to keep out rabbits, so it was easy to add a third strand slightly higher for cats and raccoons.

I have 3 cats and any time i catch them in garden water hose works. or a water gun. they now have a hose with a an eye that will spray if any animal comes close. make sure to turn off before you take a walk in garden.
i have heard that cats do not like to walk on sticky things *boards with duct tape on sticky side out * cats hate the smell of oranges put some orange peels in garden or wrap a chicken wire cage around and over garden
(leave one square unseeded let cats have that one) or put a sand garden in your yard its a zen thing. or do what i do place garden frabric down before i seed. Very Happy hope that helps

Here is a link that mentions a plant that cats really dislike. Its a coleus variety.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/76035/

I also have seen seen numerous articles about water sprayers turned on/off by motion sensors.

Post Thank you! 
I'm sorry it took me so long to write back. This year things are looking up on the cat front (so far). I will post pictures soon of my current solution.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

~Nidaba

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1