Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Celery
Post Celery 
Does anyone have any experience with growing celery? I live in Southern Illinois and have been told itís hard to grow here. I know you canít find the seeds in stores around here. However I grow Swiss and Rainbow chard and have great success with it. Pretty much looks the same to me, stalk wise. Am I missing something? Iím going to give it a shot anyway but Iíd like to have any bits of first had experience I can collect.
Thanks.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Celery pain. 
Celery is closer to parsley or carrots than chard (in my opinion).
IF you want to try, I recommend soaking the seeds overnight in warm water. That will help in 15-21 day germination time.
Start them indoors VERY early as they are slow growing for a long time.
I am growing celeriac now. Started it weeks ago and it is still small.

Someone else will have to comment on Illinois growing.

I fight slugs and caterpillars, but they are easy to control and don't decimate plants, just need to look down from the top, spread open stalks and hand pick bugs (at least I can get away with that.)

Oh, and if that isn't enough, celery has a tap root and you need to be careful not to disturb it too much when transplanting.

Here is some more info:
http://books.google.com/books?id=WykCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA180&lpg=PA180&dq=celery+tap+root&source=bl&ots=aArsMVFf_G&sig=Jt0ssBPtvm3MqzyOGVSaMfS4PSA&hl=en&ei=KdmlSeq_EoyVngej5bCWBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

Post Celery 
I live in Spanaway, WA and this is the first year I am going to try growing celery. Rolling Eyes I started celery seeds last week in the greenhouse using grow mats; will update the forum on results.

I used to live in the Salinas Valley in California and huge amounts of celery are grown there. I always heard that commercially grown celery has the most dedectible pesticide residue of any store bought vegetable.

I live in min Zone 4 b and last year i planted seeds out side and planted some inside (4 weeks earlier)from seed (last years weather Bad) After 2 months could not tell seed indoor from seeds planted out door (under Glass jar "pasta sauce" type) this year started 12 weeks from frost date and on heat pad all ready 2 inch now
I allso bought 4 plants in a pack and grew them in a planter that stores water in base and when winter was starting moved them to moms house and indoors
next to Glass door that faces south she is still picking a few stalks off to chop up for stews and leaves the middle to grow. hope this helps.
next time I go down to moms I can take photo of them if you want.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1