Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Hi from a MA/NH Gardener.
Post Hi from a MA/NH Gardener. 
Just joined plangarden. I'm in northhern Massachusetts near the New Hampshire border, not too far from Nashua. Looking forward to the new growing season.

My garden blog with some pictures is:

[http://robert-garden.blogspot.com/][/url]

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Asparagus 
In your blog you typed "The asparagus bed continues to thrive. More and more shoots are sprouting and some of the earliest ferns are going to seed." your plangarden says you planted Jersey knight I thought that was all male plants? are you going to pull the females out? so they do not Spread when the birds eat the berries and fly away.

how many people eat from your zucchini row? or do you give away a lot?

Thanks for looking at my blog. Jersey Knight is supposed to be all male. I had one or two ferns that had seeds on them this fall, probably from the same plant. I'll probably leave it be unless I see lots of ferns in places I don't want. Aside from the vegetable garden, most of our landscaping is large shrubs, hydrangeas and tall white pines.

We go through quite a bit of zucchini, my wife uses it in many interesting ways. A lot we do give away. We tend to harvest them small and the Romanesco is not as prolific as say Raven, which we have also gotten from Johnny's seeds.

Loved your photos and garden plans! Wish I could have that kind of soil around here. The ground here is VERY rocky (hence those rustic New England rock walls) and pretty acidic with all the pines. We decided to work the existing land and improved the soil through compost, green manure etc. as part of the challenge rather than do raised beds. The garden gets better year after year. Makes you wonder how the pilgrims made out those first couple of years.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1