Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
North
Post North 
I am just starting to try this software out. I do not find any instructions on how to set North. Just a message in one of the tutorials that it is important to do so. Any help?

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Setting North in your garden 
Prior to using Plangarden, make a rough sketch of your existing garden on a sheet of paper, go outdoors and use a compass to figure out the orientation of your garden. Note this down on your sketch.

When you fire up Plangarden, go to the Lay Out Tab, and use the "Line" button in the Garden Layout Editor box to draw an arrow (you will make 3 lines to draw an arrow). Then use the "Text" button to write "North". Then lay out your garden as it appears. The "Lay Out Plot" tutorial has an example of a compass rose and is quite helpful in laying out your garden: http://www.plangarden.com/manual/LayoutPlot/

In the upcoming March version, a compass rose will be available so that you need not "draw" one from scratch.

As a rule of thumb, you wish to maximize sunlight by having southern exposure for your sun-loving plants. Shade tolerant plants such as lettuces and broccoli (incl. many brassica family plants; see our blog on Plant Families: http://plangarden.wordpress.com/2009/04/24/companion-planting-part-i-know-your-plant-families/ ) do not need full sun exposure, and can be grown next to taller sun-loving plants. We have successfully grown lettuces and chard in shady areas.

It goes without saying that if you have a thicket of tall trees or a high wall or any kind of sun-blocking object in the southern section of your property, these are likely to shadow your plants. Observing what happens in your own back yard is a prerequisite to using any kind of design or layout program.

Does this answer your question? If not, please let us know. We're always willing to help!

Post Is the compass rose available yet? 
I made mine with 3 lines like you said, but I understand by the post that there should be an actual compass rose icon available by now. Am I just not finding it?

Load your plan, then goto first tab on left (lay out plot) then click on button (image)
click on the green and yelow small pic it will pop up on your plan in the top left cornner. then you can rotate item to get you north pointing north. hope this helps when you click ADD on that tab you can load Pic of anything. if you want you can look at my garden plan to get Ideas. Stripes007

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1