Vegetable Garden Plot

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1
Beets
Post Beets 
I planted beets in a raised bed that is 9 inches deep. I bought the seeds at Walmart and they were only .20 a packet. I have never planted this vegetable before and I thought the seeds looked weird. I was surprised when they sprouted after just a few days.

Anyway my question-- is a 9 inch bed deep enough for beets? I also have several lettuce plants in another 9 inch bed and I doubt if there will be a problem since the bounty is above the ground. I just was wondering about root vegetables and how deep the bed needs to be.

All my garden area is "raised beds." I also used "smart pots" for the first time this year and the tomato and pepper plants are looking good. I'll post photos in a couple more months when they are really growing.

View user's garden forum profile Send Garden forum private message
Post Beet and root depth 
Beets normally need just 6-10 inches to develop their root system, so at 9 inches you will be fine.

If you can move the pots indoors the peppers can last a long time. I have two plants that are over a year old and still produce little peppers that we throw into stir-fries and things. Not great production the second year, but normally I would still be months away from having peppers, so I am not complaining.

Post Update on the Beets 
Worked out great. They really are good oven roasted. I'm addicted. I have to do a better job in the future spacing out the planting time. Most were ready at the same time.

Reply to gardening topic Page 1 of 1